V100 NYC to in-house position in Cali?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V100 NYC to in-house position in Cali?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:46 am

How possible is this, say after 3-5 years on the corporate side? Would it be better to start at a midlaw secondary market firm (100ish attorneys that pays pretty much market (probably bonuses are weaker and the pay hikes won't be as high) in California or start in a V100 firm in NYC assuming these are the only options?

Anonymous User

Re: V100 NYC to in-house position in Cali?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 pm

I know some people that tried to do this and they had an extremely difficult time. I went in house in CA as a midlevel from a V100 firm and it was pretty difficult. A lot of companies are looking for commercial contracts experience which biglaw attorneys don't have. If you want to go in house I would suggest focusing on the type of clients and work you'll have. Look at in house job listings for midlevels in the area of CA you want to be in - will you be gaining this experience at the firm you're considering?

Return to “Legal Employment”