Main Campus Career Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bjhs08

New

Main Campus Career Fair

Post by bjhs08 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 pm

I am a 2L attending a law school in the 20-30 ranking range. I have not gotten any bites, though quite a few screeners, through OCI. The undergrad campus of my university is having a career fair this week with more than 100 employers hiring for full time positions as well as summer internships. I am planning to attend but I am not sure how to prepare a pitch to recruiters, considering I will probably be one of the only law students there. I am not exactly sure that I want to practice law and could be happy working in the business/banking/corporate field. But how do I say that to a recruiter without looking foolish?

Liam

New

Re: Main Campus Career Fair

Post by Liam » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:47 pm

I've considered pursuing consulting or asset management, and always figured the best pitch would be something along the lines of "I thought I really wanted to do law, but what I've found most fascinating are my classes in business law (corporations, securities, etc.); I think I may ultimately want to go into the business side of things, so I am hoping to explore my options."

Obviously it helps to have coursework or work experience in business.

bjhs08

New

Post by bjhs08 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks, that sounds good. I was a business major in undergrad and won some awards for work in accounting and finance.

I guess I am just worried about it seeming like I am giving up/quitting on law school and this coming across as a negative to a recruiter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:07 pm

bjhs08 wrote:Thanks, that sounds good. I was a business major in undergrad and won some awards for work in accounting and finance.

I guess I am just worried about it seeming like I am giving up/quitting on law school and this coming across as a negative to a recruiter.
It's good to not let a firm know about plan B's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”