Comments on Goodwin (Boston) over NYC V5?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Comments on Goodwin (Boston) over NYC V5?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:48 am

I am choosing between Goodwin Procter (Boston) and several New York V5 firms. I realize that choosing Goodwin in this scenario would be somewhat unconventional, especially given how much some of my classmates seem to care about Vault ranking. But I am currently favoring it because:

1. I greatly prefer Boston to New York (and I have no other Boston offers).

2. I feel like a much better fit in the Goodwin culture - I dislike the "look at me, I'm on top of the world" vibe I get from people at many of the top NY firms, whereas I enjoyed meeting almost everyone at Goodwin.

3. I prefer slightly more sustainable hours, ones that don't make me desperate after 6 months for exit options. I recognize that these are long anywhere (perhaps especially Goodwin), but most sources indicate that they are perhaps 5-10 hours a week longer in the NY firms. Many people find that easy to brush aside as a rising 2L, but my experience is that week after week, those marginal 5 hours extra make all the difference in the world.

4. My sense is that Vault ranking is overrated, especially when comparing across cities (and given the obvious NY bias). Obviously Goodwin is not as "prestigious" as the V5 New York firms I am considering in some sense, but it is still a top Boston firm. When I talk to people outside the bubble I currently inhabit (which consists mainly of prestige-oriented 2Ls targeting New York), they do not seem to think that (outside perhaps a few niches) my future career prospects will be so profoundly affected by going to Goodwin rather than the white-shoe NY places.

... yet despite all this, perhaps because I lack the courage of my convictions I am finding it hard to pull the trigger and choose Goodwin. Does anyone have relevant comments or knowledge about Goodwin, and has anyone made a similar choice recently and found in retrospect that it was either very good or very bad?

In particular, I am a little worried about the low AmLaw midlevel satisfaction ranking for Goodwin recently. I dug into the numbers and found that the rating for the Boston office was based on an absurdly small sample size (something like 10), making it pretty uninformative, but still I'm curious if anything is up.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Comments on Goodwin (Boston) over NYC V5?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Forgot to add that I am leaning toward litigation but mostly undecided.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 am

I'd go Goodwin. You could always go V5 NYC to Boston (its not uncommon) but if you have an offer in Boston and want to be in Boston it seems easy, especially given that Goodwin is one of the best firms here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 pm

I asked a similar question regarding my choice between Ropes (BOS) and S&C (NY) and have similar feelings re: Boston versus NY. The overwhelming reponse was choose the solid Boston firm. FWIW we have a similar choice, and it was comforting to hear poster's sentiments a la "dont get sucked into the Vault rankings -- they are vitrually meaningless especially when comparing between cities." Hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:56 pm

I asked a similar question regarding my choice between Ropes (BOS) and S&C (NY) and have similar feelings re: Boston versus NY. The overwhelming reponse was choose the solid Boston firm. FWIW we have a similar choice, and it was comforting to hear poster's sentiments a la "dont get sucked into the Vault rankings -- they are vitrually meaningless especially when comparing between cities." Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Part of my worry, still, is that I would be going to Goodwin rather than Ropes or WilmerHale, which are the much more popular choices among my classmates. I really like Goodwin and its culture (might prefer it to Ropes and WilmerHale even if I had offers there as well), and it's still part of the Boston "big three", but I am a little bit apprehensive about going to the firm that is generally regarded at my school as the clear "third choice" among Boston firms.

(But perhaps this is just silly. I am having trouble imagining that there are large differences in career prospects starting out at Goodwin vs. Ropes or Wilmer. Any comments on this?

It is a little weird that I am in this situation anyway - I had much much better luck among NYC firms than Boston firms - but perhaps it was due to my failure to make my Boston interest clear to the screeners. This is ironic, since the whole premise of this discussion is that I indeed have a huge preference for Boston...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.

Part of my worry, still, is that I would be going to Goodwin rather than Ropes or WilmerHale, which are the much more popular choices among my classmates. I really like Goodwin and its culture (might prefer it to Ropes and WilmerHale even if I had offers there as well), and it's still part of the Boston "big three", but I am a little bit apprehensive about going to the firm that is generally regarded at my school as the clear "third choice" among Boston firms.

(But perhaps this is just silly. I am having trouble imagining that there are large differences in career prospects starting out at Goodwin vs. Ropes or Wilmer. Any comments on this?

It is a little weird that I am in this situation anyway - I had much much better luck among NYC firms than Boston firms - but perhaps it was due to my failure to make my Boston interest clear to the screeners. This is ironic, since the whole premise of this discussion is that I indeed have a huge preference for Boston...)

Why do you care what your classmates think about Goodwin? If you liked it there and you want to be in Boston then go for it. I can't really comment on career prospects at Goodwin vs. Ropes vs. Wilmer but I can't imagine they'd be much different. What would you do instead, go to an NYC V5 with the intent on trying to make it back to Ropes/Wilmer? That doesn't make much sense to me given you already have a great offer in Boston.

Return to “Legal Employment”