Cohen Milstein Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cohen Milstein

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 am

I managed to snag an interview with Cohen Milstein and, obviously, want to crush it. It's a phone interview with their DC office, so any tips for phone interviews would be great. Also, I have zero ties to DC (I'm from CA and go to school in CA), so if anyone has overcome the lack of ties please chime in. Lastly, I don't have a PI focused resume, so how can I explain where my interest in plaintiff's side work comes from other than by saying that it sounds more exciting and rewarding than the typical biglaw work?

anon168

Silver

Re: Cohen Milstein

Post by anon168 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I managed to snag an interview with Cohen Milstein and, obviously, want to crush it. ..., so how can I explain where my interest in plaintiff's side work comes from other than by saying that it sounds more exciting and rewarding than the typical biglaw work?
Say that "it sounds more exciting and rewarding than the typical biglaw work".

Plaintiffs' lawyers get a kick out of hearing that from law students. Trust me on this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I managed to snag an interview with Cohen Milstein and, obviously, want to crush it. ..., so how can I explain where my interest in plaintiff's side work comes from other than by saying that it sounds more exciting and rewarding than the typical biglaw work?

Plaintiffs' lawyers get a kick out of hearing that from law students. Trust me on this.
I'm assuming this is sarcasm...

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm...
You assume wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:07 am

Ok, thanks. I didn't want to seem doe-eyed during the interview, but that's why I'm drawn to plaintiffs side work.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, thanks. I didn't want to seem doe-eyed during the interview, but that's why I'm drawn to plaintiffs side work.
No one is expecting some sort of epiphany from you. Be honest with yourself and the interviewer will know that you're sincere in your expressed interest in the firm or practice area, which is more often than not more the half the battle.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”