Best way to get data on small-mid firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best way to get data on small-mid firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Anyone know anyway to get good data like approx. pay and other data on smaller to mid-sized firms. I am planning on mass-mailing, but I would like some way of determining what firms are worthwhile (assuming I have a shot at getting an offer).

My current resume makes me just at the low end of being able to compete for a good big law job (top 15%, LR at a T50), but I should have a decent shot at a small-midsize mass mail.

What do you guys think?

Gorki

Re: Best way to get data on small-mid firms?

Postby Gorki » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm

The Google is your friend here, maybe check the local law schools in that area's average salaries (if they are to be trusted).

Smaller firms are not uniform at all in hiring, like NALP firms. They could see one resume and think "$60,000" and see the next one and think "well maybe, if they acccept $40,000." There is rarely lockstep or uniform pay schemes. There is also a huge difference between a small firm that is a boutique in a certain area of the FCPA versus a DWI firm. Both are "small firms" though..

Try asking recent grads in the target markets if possible, i.e. through listing said markets or equivalents in this thread and seeing if any users will provide info.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:30 pm

If you're at the point of massmailing, chances are every firm is worthwhile. I'd imagine if you're unemployed, in terms of just getting an offer you're not going to be worried about 80k vs. 120k in NYC (although once you do have offers, that would make a difference in which you choose).

Very generally speaking, I think the # of attorneys at the firm is an alright place to start, since I would imagine the more attorneys at a firm, the more structure is in place (including, more or less, beginning salaries). "Midsized firms" tend to pay something like 50-75% of biglaw salary somewhat consistently across the board, for example, but when you start looking at like 10-person firms... there's a lot more fuzziness and less structure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:08 pm

lolwat wrote:If you're at the point of massmailing, chances are every firm is worthwhile. I'd imagine if you're unemployed, in terms of just getting an offer you're not going to be worried about 80k vs. 120k in NYC (although once you do have offers, that would make a difference in which you choose).

Very generally speaking, I think the # of attorneys at the firm is an alright place to start, since I would imagine the more attorneys at a firm, the more structure is in place (including, more or less, beginning salaries). "Midsized firms" tend to pay something like 50-75% of biglaw salary somewhat consistently across the board, for example, but when you start looking at like 10-person firms... there's a lot more fuzziness and less structure.

I was thinking that too. A firm that consists of a single office of 40 attorneys seems like it would support higher salaries than a 5 person plaintiff firm.

Not sure how sound that logic is though.

Return to “Legal Employment”