Paper Quality Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paper Quality Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 am

Hi. I tried to search for an answer to my question and I found a variety of responses, and am now only more confused. I was hoping someone could help me by explaining what they have done lately. I am getting ready to hand hard-copies of a resume, cover letter, writing sample, reference list, and transcript for a state court clerkship. I have resume paper and I was wondering if I should print out each document on this paper, or if I should just do my resume, cover letter, and reference list? Or, should I ditch the fancy paper and print everything on printer paper?

Thank you so much!

Anonymous User

Re: Paper Quality Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:43 am

My school's OCS told us to do resume / reference list on fancy paper, and printer paper for everything else. I'm not sure what to do for cover letter. Prob not a huge deal either way though.

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I tried to search for an answer to my question and I found a variety of responses, and am now only more confused. I was hoping someone could help me by explaining what they have done lately. I am getting ready to hand hard-copies of a resume, cover letter, writing sample, reference list, and transcript for a state court clerkship. I have resume paper and I was wondering if I should print out each document on this paper, or if I should just do my resume, cover letter, and reference list? Or, should I ditch the fancy paper and print everything on printer paper?

Thank you so much!

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:52 am

First, I wouldn't worry about this at all, since chances are only one person will see it and it is highly unlikely they will care. (If your materials are actually circulated for consideration they will probably be scanned or copied.)

That said, traditionally all materials you prepare for the purpose of applying (cover letter, resume, references) should be on resume paper, and all documents you are attaching (transcript, writing sample) are usually on copy/printer paper. Make sure your resume paper does not get in the way of getting a clean copy or scan.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 am

First , it doesn't really matter.

Second, resume paper is a rip off. You can buy a small box of business quality paper in the same bond and color for way cheaper. It's literally the same paper if you compare.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:07 am

I tried to make it most convenient for the recruiter-- I used toilet paper so at least when they think my resume is shit they can throw it in the toilet.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:13 am

Joe Quincy wrote:
Second, resume paper is a rip off. You can buy a small box of business quality paper in the same bond and color for way cheaper. It's literally the same paper if you compare.

This. Résumé paper pretty much just gets you a watermark, and then you're supposed to make sure the watermark is right-side up and not reversed. Not worth the trouble.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 pm

I actually used plain printer paper for all my resumes for OCI, including handing to a hiring partner, and did just fine.

Didn't realize it was taboo until the entire process was said and done.

My colleagues used better quality (thicker) paper, but no watermark or tint.

Is there an official answer to this? I guess for future interviews, I won't use plain printer paper.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I actually used plain printer paper for all my resumes for OCI, including handing to a hiring partner, and did just fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”