NY V5 vs. BOS V25 (I hate NYC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Re: NY V5 vs. BOS V25 (I hate NYC)

Postby thesealocust » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here -- thanks again everyone!

Here's a question I have: is it significant that Ropes' Boston office is the mothership, whereas Wilmer is more a dual-mothership between Boston and D.C.? I get the sense that certain key practice area (i.e. some appellate work) just isnt going to come through Boston, whereas with Ropes everything comes through that office. I'm leaning Ropes now, just seems like a strange choice to make for someone who is pretty hardcore about litigation (although I couldn't say at all what sort of litigation I'd most like to do).

While I'm not familiar with it specifically, the WilmerHale merger was, IIRC, combining a firm with a gangbusters DC practice but no Boston presence with one with a gangbusters Boston practice but no DC practice. In my head, I've always imagined WilmerHale as having dual-citizenship in terms of where it's from/HQ'd/strongest, but that's a very cursory impression not based on any actual recent research.

BECAUSE MOUTHING OFF IS FUN GET OVER IT.

p1arnold

Postby p1arnold » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:59 pm

I think OP should contact both Ropes and WH and ask these questions.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Here's a question I have: is it significant that Ropes' Boston office is the mothership, whereas Wilmer is more a dual-mothership between Boston and D.C.? I get the sense that certain key practice area (i.e. some appellate work) just isnt going to come through Boston, whereas with Ropes everything comes through that office. I'm leaning Ropes now, just seems like a strange choice to make for someone who is pretty hardcore about litigation (although I couldn't say at all what sort of litigation I'd most like to do).

While I'm not familiar with it specifically, the WilmerHale merger was, IIRC, combining a firm with a gangbusters DC practice but no Boston presence with one with a gangbusters Boston practice but no DC practice. In my head, I've always imagined WilmerHale as having dual-citizenship in terms of where it's from/HQ'd/strongest, but that's a very cursory impression not based on any actual recent research.

I have heard from someone inside the firm that it does have a bit of an identity crisis, and that in reality Washington is HQ #1 and Boston is #1A, which causes, or caused, some friction, though even if that's true I doubt it would have much impact on an associate's experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:36 pm

p1arnold wrote:I think OP should contact both Ropes and WH and ask these questions.

OP here -- I've asked all these questions, and many more, while speaking with associates and partners at both firms. Unfortunately, its very hard to get a true sense of things when there is recruiting going on. That's not to say TLS forums are a better source of unbiased information, but its nice to get more input from a different group of people. Its been really helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:40 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

I have heard from someone inside the firm that it does have a bit of an identity crisis, and that in reality Washington is HQ #1 and Boston is #1A, which causes, or caused, some friction, though even if that's true I doubt it would have much impact on an associate's experience.

Very true I'm sure -- and a good point. I've veered off into the land of asking pointless quesitons -- or rather questions whose answers shouldn't affect my decision. But its all pretty helfpul! I have to keep in mind what I'm accepting here is an offer for a Summer Associateship, not a lifelong relationship with the place. Its hard to keep that in perspective sometimes. Easy to get worked up as though this is a "no looking back" type of decision, which it isn't (i think). Like I said, I'm pretty greeeeeen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Very much appreciate your mouthing off tsl, it has an uncanny air of "i probably know what I'm talking about, maybe." Puts you worlds ahead of me -- keep on mouthin! --OP

Return to “Legal Employment”