Turning Down Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning Down Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:30 pm

What's the best way to turn down an offer? Who should I speak with - the person who extends the offer or the recruiter (if they are different)? By phone or email? What's the best way to turn down the offer while still preserving (as much as possible) the opportunity to re-open that door if I get no-offered or just want to trade at 3L? If I'm asked where I'm going, should I be truthful? Related to that, what if I'm going to another market, but I don't want to tell them that (because they already had questions about whether I wanted their market in the first place)?

Anonymous User

Re: Turning Down Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 pm

I did this on Friday. Called recruiter. She asked where I was going and I was honest and sai the firm and that it was not an easy choice.

I did mention I was going to another market and that their firm was my top choice in that market if I was going to be in that city

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the best way to turn down an offer? Who should I speak with - the person who extends the offer or the recruiter (if they are different)? By phone or email? What's the best way to turn down the offer while still preserving (as much as possible) the opportunity to re-open that door if I get no-offered or just want to trade at 3L? If I'm asked where I'm going, should I be truthful? Related to that, what if I'm going to another market, but I don't want to tell them that (because they already had questions about whether I wanted their market in the first place)?

It doesn't matter at all. Literally not worth spending any time thinking about it.

--ImageRemoved--

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 pm

"Thank you for taking the time to interview me, but I have found employment elsewhere."

All the best,
Smug Law Student
New Proud Associate at a Firm that pays more than yours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:00 pm

I called the partners who had called with the offer, thanked them for the opportunity and offer, and let them know that it was a tough decision. They were all very appreciative of the fact that I called and asked me to contact them next summer if I don't like the firm I'm summering at next year.

You can of course just email but I just like calling because they had contacted me more than a few times offering advice about the firm and asking if I had any questions. These were firms that I could see myself at sometime in my career and so I wanted to leave a good impression.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I called the partners who had called with the offer, thanked them for the opportunity and offer, and let them know that it was a tough decision. They were all very appreciative of the fact that I called and asked me to contact them next summer if I don't like the firm I'm summering at next year.

You can of course just email but I just like calling because they had contacted me more than a few times offering advice about the firm and asking if I had any questions. These were firms that I could see myself at sometime in my career and so I wanted to leave a good impression.

+1

I called the partner I had most contact with, who wasn't the hiring partner. I declined in order to go to another market, so she was very supportive and said similar things. I think calling recruiter or emailing is polite enough, and you may have to if you end up playing phone tag all week. But the phone call also helped me feel more confident about my decision and good about having made a good impression if I end up back in the other market as a lateral or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”