Transitioning from compliance to true legal work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
collegewriter

Transitioning from compliance to true legal work?

Postby collegewriter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Wondering if anyone who has done a summer in compliance or works in compliance can talk about transitioning from doing it to legal work. I've always been told it wasn't possible and as someone who wants to practice law I'm a little hesitant to go forward with a callback for a pure compliance summer position. Don't want to waste their time and mine.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

DocHawkeye

Re: Transitioning from compliance to true legal work?

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 pm

I did a year-long clerkship in insurance compliance and then started at a small firm doing generally civil litigation. You're right, there isn't much in common between the two but I wouldn't say that it is impossible. I found compliance work to be painfully boring. If you have specific questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Anonymous User

Re: Transitioning from compliance to true legal work?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:06 pm

collegewriter wrote:Wondering if anyone who has done a summer in compliance or works in compliance can talk about transitioning from doing it to legal work. I've always been told it wasn't possible and as someone who wants to practice law I'm a little hesitant to go forward with a callback for a pure compliance summer position. Don't want to waste their time and mine.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you are an 1L, then you are fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”