Latham or Milbank

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham or Milbank NY

Latham
18
62%
Milbank
11
38%
 
Total votes: 29

lawalum
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Latham or Milbank

Postby lawalum » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273577
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:58 pm

We need more info about what you're looking for. We can't just evaluate these firms in general terms.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby hephaestus » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Lit or corp?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273577
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Milbank had a 100% offer rate. Latham is famous for their offer rate and downsizing policies.

Definitely Latham.

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby Gorki » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 pm

LaTTham? Heck no. In 2009 they specialized in firing fresh law grads for "performance failures" and refused to vouch for said grads in any meaningful way when these individuals sought new jobs. This firm systemically doomed the careers for so many from so early on, just so the board could make it a few more months before the bad news about their terrible management scheme causing terrible results.

TL;DR: Its a pirate ship loaded w/Boomer frauds. Then again, so are all firms.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby splitsplat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I'd consider the fact that milbank increased their summer class considerably (33 to 69). It could mean the firm is doing well and there is a ton of work..

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby spiritniffler189 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 pm

splitsplat wrote:I'd consider the fact that milbank increased their summer class considerably (33 to 69). It could mean the firm is doing well and there is a ton of work..


Or could mean that a lot of associates are leaving (which is what I was told by one associate who used to be in lit).

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby splitsplat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:I'd consider the fact that milbank increased their summer class considerably (33 to 69). It could mean the firm is doing well and there is a ton of work..


Or could mean that a lot of associates are leaving (which is what I was told by one associate who used to be in lit).


Did he mention anything about why tons of associates are leaving? If something is a going down, I'm sure OP would appreciate the knowledge.

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby spiritniffler189 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 pm

splitsplat wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:I'd consider the fact that milbank increased their summer class considerably (33 to 69). It could mean the firm is doing well and there is a ton of work..


Or could mean that a lot of associates are leaving (which is what I was told by one associate who used to be in lit).


Did he mention anything about why tons of associates are leaving? If something is a going down, I'm sure OP would appreciate the knowledge.


Lack of work in litigation. Person was a mid-level, said they (associate & others) felt that the amount of responsibility didn't increase over the years. Mentioned that a few people were able to get more responsibility in lit, but it was a very small minority while the rest felt their interests were not being heard.

W/ that said, the associate mentioned that if I was 100% sure I was interested in corporate/project finance etc., that it's a great place to be. And I also happened to reach out to the associate the day that they placed their two weeks notice, so may have been more negative than necessary?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273577
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:42 am

Asked about the increased summer size at a CB and multiple people said it was just returning to their old hiring levels after being perhaps overly conservative. Take that as you will, but I don't think it reflects much more than a lack of pessimism going forward.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:50 am

spiritniffler189 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:I'd consider the fact that milbank increased their summer class considerably (33 to 69). It could mean the firm is doing well and there is a ton of work..


Or could mean that a lot of associates are leaving (which is what I was told by one associate who used to be in lit).


Did he mention anything about why tons of associates are leaving? If something is a going down, I'm sure OP would appreciate the knowledge.


Lack of work in litigation. Person was a mid-level, said they (associate & others) felt that the amount of responsibility didn't increase over the years. Mentioned that a few people were able to get more responsibility in lit, but it was a very small minority while the rest felt their interests were not being heard.


This is true of biglaw litigation generally. Its in the firms' interests to see a majority of junior associates leave after a few years of grinding them on doc review and discovery bullshit. Partners only trust a chosen few senior associates with the really good work (trial work, appearances at hearings, etc.) and they sure as hell don't want to make any associates partner, so the really top level work like client interaction is kept to the partners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273577
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Asked about the increased summer size at a CB and multiple people said it was just returning to their old hiring levels after being perhaps overly conservative. Take that as you will, but I don't think it reflects much more than a lack of pessimism going forward.

Partner told me it was mostly that, but also because they got a much higher yield than expected. As a result, he said this year's class would be somewhere between 2012 and 2013.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273577
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Latham or Milbank

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Asked about the increased summer size at a CB and multiple people said it was just returning to their old hiring levels after being perhaps overly conservative. Take that as you will, but I don't think it reflects much more than a lack of pessimism going forward.

Partner told me it was mostly that, but also because they got a much higher yield than expected. As a result, he said this year's class would be somewhere between 2012 and 2013.


Is this confirmed?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.