Options Other Than Mass Mail?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Options Other Than Mass Mail?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Top 10% of a non-HYS top 14. Career services said that I interview pretty well, and I practiced extensively for close to a year. Some non-legal work experience before LS so not straight through.

8 CB's; 4 rejections, 4 no response (all are 25-60).

While I could have had slightly better grades/we/interviewing, I think I am a tad unlucky and the economy sucks. I'm trying to do all I can.

I mass mailed every firm in the only market that I have ties to (a major market), and silence/rejection (150 firms). I also mass mailed another major market I was very interested in, but lacked ties to. Same silence/rejection (60 firms).

What are other options to ensure one is employed if they have all the credentials, but have bad luck?

hichvichwoh

Re: Options Other Than Mass Mail?

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:06 pm

clerkship?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:09 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:clerkship?

+1.
Also mass mail... really you should have mass mailed earlier, but you lose nothing by starting now. Make sure to try and reach NYC and any secondary markets you might have ties to.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Mass mail new york if you haven't already. Otherwise, clerkship (including state SSC) is a great option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 pm

badaboom61 wrote:Mass mail new york if you haven't already. Otherwise, clerkship (including state SSC) is a great option.

When do you apply for these, and what do you do your 2L summer?

What markets other than NYC can one mass-mail without ties? I am open to living anywhere, but if it's a 1% chance I've already missed so much schoolwork that I am afraid of losing the one thing that makes me competitive while still not having a job.

I don't have ties to any secondary markets. I have relatives in one city that is not NYC, but during OCI these ties were not sufficient.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:Mass mail new york if you haven't already. Otherwise, clerkship (including state SSC) is a great option.

What markets other than NYC can one mass-mail without ties? I am open to living anywhere, but if it's a 1% chance I've already missed so much schoolwork that I am afraid of losing the one thing that makes me competitive while still not having a job.

I don't have ties to any secondary markets. I have relatives in one city that is not NYC, but during OCI these ties were not sufficient.

Ok... this should be common advice for all 2Ls. 2L fall you take the easiest, most stupid classes you can possibly take. If you still have time, change your schedule so you only have super-easy classes that do not require much work. Ideally, you want uncurved courses, that still have a final exam...

Are from NYC? You can mass mail the area where your school is located. You can also mass mail DC with your grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ok... this should be common advice for all 2Ls. 2L fall you take the easiest, most stupid classes you can possibly take. If you still have time, change your schedule so you only have super-easy classes that do not require much work. Ideally, you want uncurved courses, that still have a final exam...

Are from NYC? You can mass mail the area where your school is located. You can also mass mail DC with your grades.

Yes, but the issue is the super-easy classes not requiring much work are hard to be top 10% in. I am not a great test taker (by my school's standards), but outworked most people in difficult classes.

So mass-mail DC; anywhere else? Literally anywhere with a grocery store, park and bar will suffice.

Is there an application that lets you do this in a more time efficient way, and will let me just bombard them with my resume, transcript and a generic cover letter stating my interest in the city and interest in an area of law?

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, but the issue is the super-easy classes not requiring much work are hard to be top 10% in. I am not a great test taker (by my school's standards), but outworked most people in difficult classes.

So mass-mail DC; anywhere else? Literally anywhere with a grocery store, park and bar will suffice.

Is there an application that lets you do this in a more time efficient way, and will let me just bombard them with my resume, transcript and a generic cover letter stating my interest in the city and interest in an area of law?

Resume launchpad does that for you, but I would only use it to get firm names. I would not be surprised if recruiters have found a way to sent resume launchpads straight to spam.

Mass mail DC and NYC (if you have no other connections and if you go to school at either columbia or NYU). Be a little more personal in the e-mails you send to them... make the recruiter think that you have at least done some minimal research.

I do not understand what you mean by the super-easy classes being difficult. Ideally, ideally, you want to take classes with a final exam that are not curved. Some uncurved super easy classes require work throughout the semester, and you might not have time for that. But if you made it to 10%, you can probably teach yourself a subject at the end of the semester and get a good grade if the class is uncurved.
Also, even if your GPA goes down a bit... it is not the end of the world. You will have Spring to raise it up again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% of a non-HYS top 14. Career services said that I interview pretty well, and I practiced extensively for close to a year. Some non-legal work experience before LS so not straight through.

While I could have had slightly better grades/we/interviewing, I think I am a tad unlucky and the economy sucks. I'm trying to do all I can.

I mass mailed every firm in the only market that I have ties to (a major market), and silence/rejection (150 firms). I also mass mailed another major market I was very interested in, but lacked ties to. Same silence/rejection (60 firms).

What are other options to ensure one is employed if they have all the credentials, but have bad luck?

+1 to the situation (though mass mailing to DC+NYC). I've been contacting my profs and alumni in addition to mass mailing. My debt burden is also minimal so I'm seriously considering leaning on a contact I have and working on the Hill for a few years if this doesn't pan out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% of a non-HYS top 14. Career services said that I interview pretty well, and I practiced extensively for close to a year. Some non-legal work experience before LS so not straight through.

+1 to the situation (though mass mailing to DC+NYC). I've been contacting my profs and alumni in addition to mass mailing. My debt burden is also minimal so I'm seriously considering leaning on a contact I have and working on the Hill for a few years if this doesn't pan out.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

I am starting to feel the entire 1L grades are everything mantra is pretty overblown. The truth is being a successful junior associate does not take all that much intelligence, and anyone with a 3.0 can probably do it so the 3.75 is kind of useless.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 pm

You need to both spend time hunting for a job and ensure that you get good grades at the end of the semester in case that doesn't pan out since you are in a spot where you have a shot at a clerkship.

Nobody on TLS knows why you didn't do well. Maybe you don't interview as well as you think you do (CSOs aren't necessarily the best at evaluating how good of interviewers people are, plus that you had to practice interviewing for a year signals to me there could still a problem). Maybe you targeted a non-NYC market and/or targeted firms with small class sizes without giving yourself a backup of some large class sized firms. Maybe you targeted too selective firms and got unlucky (which is still possible for a top 10% T14er since targeting only the tippy top firms could lead to a strike out, e.g., WLRK/W&C/MTO/KVN/etc). We can't know for sure since we weren't at your CBs. What is sure is that you mass mailed too few places too late.

That said, at this point you should still mass mail every market you can though I'm sure you're doing that. Other than that, at this point there isn't much you can do. The bulk of clerkship apps won't start to be due until you get your 2L fall grades back. If you miss out on biglaw, you should do your best to get a job that could convert into something full time after graduation whether that's working at a small/midsize firm or working at a DA/PD office. Most of these places won't start looking for a people for a while. Failing finding something like that, your 2L summer options aren't going to look much different than your 1L summer options (inhouse/gov/judicial/etc internships).

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:34 pm

I don't think your grades are the problem. Don't beat yourself up for doing well, that may still pay dividends down the line.

Just keep mailing. Can OCI call the firms you had callbacks with to see if there are specific things you can maybe improve?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:37 am

Is there any hope for biglaw if we've struck out this far?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any hope for biglaw if we've struck out this far?

Last year I got biglaw from a callback in late September that I got from mailings I sent out in early or mid September. I struck out at OCI and from all my pre-OCI mailings. I'd say biglaw is still at least a possibility until about November, although your chances are definitely diminishing by the day.

Return to “Legal Employment”