Offer acceptance etiquette

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer acceptance etiquette

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Hey everyone just curious about what I should do after accepting an offer. Is hand-written notes to hiring partner, person who made the call and the recruiter appropriate and common? Is there anything else I need to do? West coast V25.

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: Offer acceptance etiquette

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:47 pm

If you've already thanked the hiring partner on the phone (I'm assuming he/she called you), I don't think a hand-written note is necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:If you've already thanked the hiring partner on the phone (I'm assuming he/she called you), I don't think a hand-written note is necessary.

OP here. The person who made the phone call is not the hiring partner, but the alum from my law school. Should I still thank the hiring partner then?

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:If you've already thanked the hiring partner on the phone (I'm assuming he/she called you), I don't think a hand-written note is necessary.

OP here. The person who made the phone call is not the hiring partner, but the alum from my law school. Should I still thank the hiring partner then?

How recently did you accept? A lot of firms will organize some kind of email to you from various people you interviewed with saying they "Look forward to seeing you next summer!" or something like that. You can then respond to those with thank-yous and such.

Partners involved in hiring get so much back-and-forth from law students that it's likely to be just noise anyway. Imagine how much email volume an office with a 22 person summer class probably goes through before the 22 are settled on. You can add to the noise, but it won't make you stand out in anyone's mind when you return there fully 10 months from now.

Return to “Legal Employment”