Edwards Wildman

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Edwards Wildman

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:29 pm

What is the word on the street about these guys? I have a callback with them, and I was very excited about it until I started looking on TLS and ATL. I know that the firm is on questionable financial footing and that they pay below market, but they rank highly on substantive work assignments and associate satisfaction on Vault. Also, the associate who interviewed me was by far more excited about her job than any other associate I spoken to so far.

Any one else have any first hand insight or experience?

Anonymous User

Re: Edwards Wildman

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:50 am

At one of Ropes/Wilmer/Goodwin in Boston. From what I have been told by other, more experience attorneys... no reason to join Edwards Wildman over any other major firm in Boston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the word on the street about these guys? I have a callback with them, and I was very excited about it until I started looking on TLS and ATL. I know that the firm is on questionable financial footing and that they pay below market, but they rank highly on substantive work assignments and associate satisfaction on Vault. Also, the associate who interviewed me was by far more excited about her job than any other associate I spoken to so far.

I don't really understand your question. You get a job at a market rate, take it. EW just merged a couple years back, but seems to be doing okay from what I've researched. Do you have a link about the shaky financial ground?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:14 pm

They canceled OCI at my school when they decided not to take summer associates in a couple of their offices. I wouldn't think that's a good sign.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They canceled OCI at my school when they decided not to take summer associates in a couple of their offices. I wouldn't think that's a good sign.

What school? Is it possible they aren't taking people in those offices (firms change which offices get SA all the time)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They canceled OCI at my school when they decided not to take summer associates in a couple of their offices. I wouldn't think that's a good sign.

What school? Is it possible they aren't taking people in those offices (firms change which offices get SA all the time)?

That's exactly it, they decided not to have a summer program in a couple of their offices, despite previously planning to. Cutting back on new attorney hiring and recruiting isn't a good look.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 pm

They cancelled OCI at Fordham

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the word on the street about these guys? I have a callback with them, and I was very excited about it until I started looking on TLS and ATL. I know that the firm is on questionable financial footing and that they pay below market, but they rank highly on substantive work assignments and associate satisfaction on Vault. Also, the associate who interviewed me was by far more excited about her job than any other associate I spoken to so far.

I don't really understand your question. You get a job at a market rate, take it. EW just merged a couple years back, but seems to be doing okay from what I've researched. Do you have a link about the shaky financial ground?

OP here. I'm just trying to get a handle on whether it is a good place to work. On the one hand, I see negative comments like other info in this thread. On the other, vault rankings and my interview suggest it is a great place to work. I am wondering if the negativity I hear about EW pertains more to its financial situation than the quality of the workplace, or if the vault rankings and my interviewer were misleading.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. I'm just trying to get a handle on whether it is a good place to work. On the one hand, I see negative comments like other info in this thread. On the other, vault rankings and my interview suggest it is a great place to work. I am wondering if the negativity I hear about EW pertains more to its financial situation than the quality of the workplace, or if the vault rankings and my interviewer were misleading.

A couple of things: I am assuming if they cancelled OCI at Fordham, they will not have a class in NYC. They had the first class in NYC last year since about 6 years ago.

A friend from law school worked there last summer, he said good things about it as a place to work. If you get an offer from a market firm--take it. If you don't get a market firm, and EW and other non market firms gave you offers, go with which one you like better.

OP--you really aren't giving information. Is EW your only offer? Is it the only offer in the city you want to be in?

[Edit: OP--- Just do your callback and get an offer---then ask these questions]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Edwards Wildman is well respected in Boston. It is the product of a merger of two older New England law firms. They focus more on the corporate mid-market and have some niches in the New England marketplace in the buyout, real estate, and finance spaces. They are a general practice firm though and have a large litigation matters as well (but I am not a litigator so I don't know what they are known for or do). They pay below market, but I am not sure if they would be considered a lifestyle firm.

I've heard some of the word about their financial situation, but I don't know how credited this is. There hasn't been much partner lateral activity away from the firm in New England--at least I haven't heard of much.

Return to “Legal Employment”