K&L Gates v. Knobbe

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

K&L Gates v. Knobbe

K&L Gates (Chicago)
77%
Knobbe Martens (Orange County)
23%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

K&L Gates v. Knobbe

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:16 pm

I have offers for both K&L Gates (Chicago) and Knobbe Martens (Orange County). My background is EE/CS. Currently, I am undecided between prosecution, litigation, and IP transaction and would like to try all early in the career. If someone has first-hand knowledge, could you please provide some insights on job security, exit options, and hours/pay about the two firms? Thank you very much.

truevines

Re: K&L Gates v. Knobbe

Postby truevines » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:35 pm

You should figure out the billing systems of the two firms, and ask about the real working hours at Knobbe. Then, you can decide whether the life style at Knobbe is worth the below-market pay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:25 pm

truevines wrote:You should figure out the billing systems of the two firms, and ask about the real working hours at Knobbe. Then, you can decide whether the life style at Knobbe is worth the below-market pay.

OP here. I understand that Knobbe system is hours BILLED not billable hours. So I guess it depends a lot on which partners/clients that I work for (please correct me if I was wrong). In the meantime, I appreciate any comments on exit options and future career developments regarding these two firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:31 pm

California > Chicago for IP in-house due to all the companies operating there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:58 pm

K&L Gates Chicago has been hemorrhaging attorneys over the last 6-7 years.

--LinkRemoved--

2006: 233 attorneys
2012: 128 attorneys.

The Bell Boyd merger has really shaken up the firm. I would not touch this firm with a yard stick.

I know a ton of attorneys who PTFO of K&L after the merger.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
truevines wrote:You should figure out the billing systems of the two firms, and ask about the real working hours at Knobbe. Then, you can decide whether the life style at Knobbe is worth the below-market pay.

OP here. I understand that Knobbe system is hours BILLED not billable hours. So I guess it depends a lot on which partners/clients that I work for (please correct me if I was wrong). In the meantime, I appreciate any comments on exit options and future career developments regarding these two firms.

You're correct, I've heard the lifestyle aspect can be pretty variable depending on the client because the amount that gets billed is effectively determined by the client's budget. So, some associates on higher budget clients get all their time billed and have time to take up surfing, enjoy California, etc. while other associates don't fare too well. That being said, supposedly it's improved quite a bit over there for prosecutors since the economy has improved.

Theoretically, their billable requirements are really low, like around 1600-1700 for 150k starting salary, but again experiences can vary.

I've also heard that their in-house options on the West Coast are stellar. They have a good reputation out there.

Return to “Legal Employment”