Advice for finding a 1L in-house summer job.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawhopeful10

Advice for finding a 1L in-house summer job.

Postby lawhopeful10 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:30 am

I am wondering how possible it is and the best way to find such a job. I go to UGA so Atlanta is close by and they have a decent amount of companies based there. It seems difficult however to find any legal areas when I go on various companies careers sections. Anyone have any advice? Also a timeline for when to start serious searching and applying would be helpful too.
Thanks in advance.

bk1

Re: Advice for finding a 1L in-house summer job.

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 am

In house depts hire very few interns. Even some of the bigger companies with established legal intern programs (e.g., Google, Microsoft) hire only a small handful of people, especially compared with the number of interns they take in other departments. My guess would be that if you can't find any evidence of them hiring legal interns on their website that you might as well send them an email anyway (just because they haven't hired legal interns before doesn't mean they wouldn't be open to hiring one next year). I'd probably send them an app when you get your first semester 1L grades back.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 am

lawstudentjobs.net

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 pm

AT&T is probably your best. Coke, Fox too.
My advice though: work in a firm. In house is like going to PA school.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Alright cool, thanks for all the responses.

thatgirlthere

Postby thatgirlthere » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:25 pm

If there's somewhere you want to work and they don't have any legal internships posted, definitely just contact someone from the legal department. I worked in house last summer, and they said they never advertise the job, but get about 50 apps/year from word of mouth. Also, look for companies with larger legal departments.

BostonLove

Postby BostonLove » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:47 pm

My impression of where to look/how to apply: career services (ours has a bunch of in house contacts and keeps a list of which companies hire 1Ls which years and summer surveys), alumni working in house/in field you want, and just sending emails inquiring/applying to firms you want, even if there isn't anything posted online.

I know a decent number of people who worked in house 1L summer. One thing is that in house largely seems to hire later in the spring, so you might be later than others in finding a position (but a lot of great positions open then, especially with companies).

Return to “Legal Employment”