Information Privacy/Security Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Information Privacy/Security Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:48 am

I'm considering accepting an offer at a firm that has a top information privacy/security practice. I've heard it's a growing field and especially important in today's world. It also just sounds really cool! But I can't really find good information about what these lawyers actually do on a daily basis! Does anybody have any insight on this or has worked in this field? What kind of lifestyle goes along with working in it? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Information Privacy/Security Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 am

You mean something like this?

They help deal with data breaches and other info/privacy related stuff. For example, imagine a credit card company accidentally lets out a bunch of data (or has it stolen by hackers). There are a bunch of compliance measures that the company has to then go through (e.g. notifying affected individuals, notifying state/fed agencies, taking preventative measures, etc). The company might then get prosecuted and/or fined by a state or the feds. The company might also get sued by the affected individuals.

Lawyers help companies deal with all aspects of this. They do advising to ensure that companies are compliant with data regulations. If there is a breach, they might do a lot of things: lead an internal investigation, ensure compliance with all the required follow up steps, negotiate and/or defend on the company's behalf if the state/feds go after the company either civilly or criminally, defend the company if it gets sued by individuals. They might also advise steps to help companies avoid a similar breach in the future.

So an associate who is working on a case where the company had a data breach might have to research the law to see what the company has to do and how the company might be liable (partner would then tell the company what they should do and what their exposure is). If the state or feds are trying to fine the company the associate might research how much the company could be liable according to statute and what other companies have been fined in similar situations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 am

OP here. Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it. And that work sounds fascinating!

Alexandria

Postby Alexandria » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:52 am

I was secondarily in the Privacy group at my firm in DC. There was a lot of drafting of comments in FTC proceedings, some privacy-related litigation, drafting privacy policies and terms of use for clients' websites, advising on dos and don'ts of practices of information gathering practices, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

Return to “Legal Employment”