Moving to another state because of spouse (how to put in CL)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving to another state because of spouse (how to put in CL)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 pm

I am asking this question for a female friend. She will be moving with her husband to a totally new state in a big city--in which they have no previous connections--because he got a job there. She doesn't have a job yet and they're moving to this new state because that's the place where he can get work. How should she explain her regional connection to the new area in the cover letter without sounding like she's just following her husband around everywhere? Does that concern make sense? Is it warranted?

How can she convince them that she wants to work in this new area?

kalvano

Re: Moving to another state because of spouse (how to put in CL)

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 pm

I would just flat-out say it. "My husband had a job opportunity he could not turn down, and we are very excited to move to XYZ and begin a new chapter in our lives. We have visited / have friends / some connection to the area, and are very much looking forward to settling down in XZY and raising our family."

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 am

I know it feels weird to talk about just following one's husband around, but I don't think anyone blinks an eye if a woman writes something like, "I am relocating to City X for my husband's employment." If he's going to work somewhere with any name recognition, I'd probably say, "I am relocating to City X, where my husband is starting a job at IBM" or the like (being specific sounds better to me). I know there's a fear that it says I PUT MY HUSBAND'S CAREER OVER MY OWN I AM NOT SUFFICIENTLY SERIOUS DON'T HIRE ME, but it's such an undeniably good reason to move to a new city, I don't think it actually looks weird. I mean, she went to law school, she's a lawyer, she's still looking for a job as a lawyer - employers just want to know there's a good reason to be in the area, I don't think they care too much what it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I know it feels weird to talk about just following one's husband around, but I don't think anyone blinks an eye if a woman writes something like, "I am relocating to City X for my husband's employment." If he's going to work somewhere with any name recognition, I'd probably say, "I am relocating to City X, where my husband is starting a job at IBM" or the like (being specific sounds better to me). I know there's a fear that it says I PUT MY HUSBAND'S CAREER OVER MY OWN I AM NOT SUFFICIENTLY SERIOUS DON'T HIRE ME, but it's such an undeniably good reason to move to a new city, I don't think it actually looks weird. I mean, she went to law school, she's a lawyer, she's still looking for a job as a lawyer - employers just want to know there's a good reason to be in the area, I don't think they care too much what it is.

You think it's okay to name drop like that in the cover letter? (My husband and I are relocating because he'll be working for Cravath/Microsoft/Facebook). He's working for a big company/firm with name recognition.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:59 am

Well, I'd namedrop - I think it would help show a good reason to want to be in that city, if it's a good job/company (as opposed to, "I am relocating to City X, where my husband is starting a job at Starbucks"), and if you give a specific employer presumably you're not making it up. I was in the same situation when I went to law school, and I used the line/name-dropped, and it came up a couple of times in interviews (in brief chit-chat). But I could be missing something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:37 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Well, I'd namedrop - I think it would help show a good reason to want to be in that city, if it's a good job/company (as opposed to, "I am relocating to City X, where my husband is starting a job at Starbucks"), and if you give a specific employer presumably you're not making it up. I was in the same situation when I went to law school, and I used the line/name-dropped, and it came up a couple of times in interviews (in brief chit-chat). But I could be missing something.

Thanks for the advice. I think this will be helpful to her.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am

kalvano wrote:I would just flat-out say it. "My husband had a job opportunity he could not turn down, and we are very excited to move to XYZ and begin a new chapter in our lives. We have visited / have friends / some connection to the area, and are very much looking forward to settling down in XZY and raising our family."

Never, ever say that as a female. Great way to get your resume thrown in the trash.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

Something that says "we are going to stay here in XYZ and not move again in 2 years if my husband gets a better job." Whatever that may be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 am

worldtraveler wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would just flat-out say it. "My husband had a job opportunity he could not turn down, and we are very excited to move to XYZ and begin a new chapter in our lives. We have visited / have friends / some connection to the area, and are very much looking forward to settling down in XZY and raising our family."

Never, ever say that as a female. Great way to get your resume thrown in the trash.

Do you agree with the stuff Nony's been saying?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:00 pm

I should add that I would never, ever say anything about raising a family. I agree that's a huge red flag for a woman to raise in a cover letter.

Return to “Legal Employment”