Take a leave of absence to take the patent bar?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Take a leave of absence to take the patent bar?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm a 2L at T6. I think I got struck out at OCI. My grades are bad, and my interviewing skills suck. Had few callbacks but got dinged, and waiting from the last remaining one, but not expecting a good news. I've started mass-mailing but afraid that biglaw boat has already sailed away at this point.

I'm very interested in doing life-science patent litigation, but don't have a science degree. I was pre-med in college so I have some life science background, and I'm few credits short of patent bar eligibility. I've been targetting a mix of IP firms (both boutiques and big firms with IP department) and general corporate firms, but the yield hasn't been good. I did the Loyola Patent Fair but didn't get many screeners because many firms require patent bar eligibility.

Right now I am debating whether to stick out 2L year and target mid/small-sized law firms/gov/ whatever to get any job OR to take a leave of absence for a year to bolster my patent law credentials: get more patent-related legal experience, take science classes, take the patent bar, and then re-do Loyola and OCI next year as a 2L. My career service advisor thinks it might worth a shot, but other people've told me that it's not worth it because taking the patent bar won't give me much of a boost given that I don't have a science degree. I have to make a decision soon, and I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have an advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Take a leave of absence to take the patent bar?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 pm

If you want to do litigation it is irrelevant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 pm

TL;DR. But you don't need a leave of absence to take the patent bar. Test is not that hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Except that patent bar is required to get in to a lot of patent boutiques (even if you do mostly lit). With that said, a life science bachelors isn't exactly in demand so I can't really approve this plan. I would mass mail hardcore.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TL;DR. But you don't need a leave of absence to take the patent bar. Test is not that hard.

OP doesn't need to take a leave to take the test, OP needs to take a leave to take the classes that would qualify him/her to take the test.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:39 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TL;DR. But you don't need a leave of absence to take the patent bar. Test is not that hard.

OP doesn't need to take a leave to take the test, OP needs to take a leave to take the classes that would qualify him/her to take the test.

OP here- I only need to take two more science classes so I can take them during 2L year and take the patent bar next summer. But I guess my main concern lies in applying for SA positions as a 2L v. 3L. I'm already in an up-hill battle due to my lack of technical degree, and I'm afraid that applying to IP firms as a 3L will be even more challenging. My subpar performance at OCI really affected my confidence and I'm not sure my mass-mailing from now on will be successful. :( I'm willing to spend an extra year if that will give me a significantly higher chance of getting a job that I want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you want to do litigation it is irrelevant.

utter nonsense. the patent bar eligibility is not formally required for lit, but it's a de facto requirement.

yeah, every ip student can think of a person who does lit and isn't patent eligible. (1) there are exceptions to most everything (2) chances are that person didn't start in patent lit but somehow migrated there.

Return to “Legal Employment”