Small Sacramento firm v. midsize Los Angeles firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small Sacramento firm v. midsize Los Angeles firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:45 pm

I'm trying to decide between two offers and can't decide what to do.

Firm 1 is a small (30-50) person firm in Sacramento, CA.

Firm 2 is a midsize firm in Los Angeles, with a handful of other offices throughout California.

I'm from northern California and would like to stay in Norcal in the long run, and I like Sacramento. However, I know the Los Angeles firm is a bigger name and has more prestige.

I'm stuck between choosing Sacramento (less pay, less prestige/maybe unknown outside the Sacramento area, but I am comfortable in the area), or Los Angeles (more money, more prestige, might get me further career-wise, but not sure if I want to live in Southern California in the long run).

Am I stupid not to choose the more prestigious firm? Will I be pigeon-holing myself if I choose a smaller firm in Sacramento?

Re: Small Sacramento firm v. midsize Los Angeles firm

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

You can PM me if you want but this depends on the firm. If you're talking about Porter Scott I'd say go to LA. A couple of the others might be a different story tho.

Re: Small Sacramento firm v. midsize Los Angeles firm

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Also obvious question, but does the LA firm have a Sac office?

Return to “Legal Employment”