Expiring offer question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Expiring offer question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

I have an offer expiring on Monday and am still waiting to hear back from my top choice firm which is unfortunately a very small office (3-4 SA's) that won't make decisions until they've finished interviewing everyone. What is the credited route here? Ask for an extension on my first offer? Has anyone had luck with this? Email one of the partners I spoke with at the second firm to tell him my situation? I've only been in contact with the recruiting office about my deadlines. I would hate to have to withdraw my candidacy because I loved this office and thought the interview went well.

Thanks for the advice.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Expiring offer question

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 am

Talk to your top choice first. If they won't make a decision, I would only ask for an extension if its a pretty big firm.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Expiring offer question

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 am

IAFG wrote:Talk to your top choice first. If they won't make a decision, I would only ask for an extension if its a pretty big firm.


This is credited. Talk to recruiting, not the partners directly if they don't tell you to. If the other firm is big and still working to fill their summer class, ask for an extension. If it's small and you would inconvenience their recruiting efforts by extending, go ahead and accept the offer.

Honestly, if the other firm won't budge despite your upcoming offer deadline, that's probably a red flag. When asking for the extension, just remember that a bird in the bush, etc.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Expiring offer question

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:59 am

badaboom61 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Talk to your top choice first. If they won't make a decision, I would only ask for an extension if its a pretty big firm.


This is credited. Talk to recruiting, not the partners directly if they don't tell you to. If the other firm is big and still working to fill their summer class, ask for an extension. If it's small and you would inconvenience their recruiting efforts by extending, go ahead and accept the offer.

Honestly, if the other firm won't budge despite your upcoming offer deadline, that's probably a red flag. When asking for the extension, just remember that a bird in the bush, etc.

I agree with everything but the bolded. There's no reason to not ask.

badaboom61
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Expiring offer question

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:57 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Talk to your top choice first. If they won't make a decision, I would only ask for an extension if its a pretty big firm.


This is credited. Talk to recruiting, not the partners directly if they don't tell you to. If the other firm is big and still working to fill their summer class, ask for an extension. If it's small and you would inconvenience their recruiting efforts by extending, go ahead and accept the offer.

Honestly, if the other firm won't budge despite your upcoming offer deadline, that's probably a red flag. When asking for the extension, just remember that a bird in the bush, etc.

I agree with everything but the bolded. There's no reason to not ask.


Small firms can be short tempered and easily offended; an offer from a small firm may be an entirely different relationship than having an offer from a large one. I'm sure they wouldn't retract your offer or anything, but you don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Expiring offer question

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:12 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Talk to your top choice first. If they won't make a decision, I would only ask for an extension if its a pretty big firm.


This is credited. Talk to recruiting, not the partners directly if they don't tell you to. If the other firm is big and still working to fill their summer class, ask for an extension. If it's small and you would inconvenience their recruiting efforts by extending, go ahead and accept the offer.

Honestly, if the other firm won't budge despite your upcoming offer deadline, that's probably a red flag. When asking for the extension, just remember that a bird in the bush, etc.

I agree with everything but the bolded. There's no reason to not ask.


Small firms can be short tempered and easily offended; an offer from a small firm may be an entirely different relationship than having an offer from a large one. I'm sure they wouldn't retract your offer or anything, but you don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

imo, possible "wrong foot" >>> forgoing a potential better offer




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.