How to Deal with a 1L No Offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to Deal with a 1L No Offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Maybe a little late to address this, but how should a 1L who got no-offered address that in callbacks? Searching in the same market.

Anonymous User

Re: How to Deal with a 1L No Offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm

As someone who was also no-offered as a 1L, I feel your pain.

I think getting no-offered 1L is not necessarily a death sentence for your 2L job search.

Remember, you still have 1L SA experience, which puts you on a leg up compared to some of your competition.

I don't know about you, but getting no-offered after my 1L summer, so far in my life, was the most humbling experience.

But, back to your question. You should emphasize how even though you got no-offered, you received great experience, learned from your mistakes quickly, and how you would be joining your new firm with a sharper perspective on how to perform well.

In addition, do not lie. Also, I am part of the school of thought where even though you may have some negative feelings about your old firm, do not complain and talk down about the firm. You could say something like, "Even though it was a great firm, it was not a great fit for me because I am looking for [X]." Then tie in a reason why you want to join the new firm.

You may not believe me now, but it does get better. There are a fair amount of attorneys that ran into some roadblocks early on in their legal career, rebounded, and went on to be very successful.

For example, Justice Sotomayor was no-offered when she was a 2L, and look where she is now.

Very best of luck.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”