O'Melveny Century City

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

O'Melveny Century City

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 pm

I recently received an offer from OMM CC and was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the office could share their opinions of it. I'm very interested in the feel of the office and the hours worked. It appeared to me that the lawyers in that office worked like absolute dogs--moreso than any other office I interviewed with. It was also the only office I visited in which interviewers casually talked about no offering people. Of the six people I met with, three mentioned it randomly--some in a joking way, but it was a bit disconcerting to me that the no-offer option is so clearly on the table. Anyway, maybe I'm wrong and, if so, I'd love to hear from those who know more than me. Thank you all so so much for your help!!

Anonymous User

Re: O'Melveny Century City

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently received an offer from OMM CC and was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the office could share their opinions of it. I'm very interested in the feel of the office and the hours worked. It appeared to me that the lawyers in that office worked like absolute dogs--moreso than any other office I interviewed with. It was also the only office I visited in which interviewers casually talked about no offering people. Of the six people I met with, three mentioned it randomly--some in a joking way, but it was a bit disconcerting to me that the no-offer option is so clearly on the table. Anyway, maybe I'm wrong and, if so, I'd love to hear from those who know more than me. Thank you all so so much for your help!!

I know people who worked at O'Melveny Downtown LA who referred to CC people as crazy. Associates in CC are always looking to get out of there and get moved to Downtown. If you have an offer elsewhere, go elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 pm

If you drink/party a lot and don't mind long hours, you'll fit in. Sort of bro-y, very intense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:14 am

Wouldn't call it bro-y so much as an entertainment culture, with that feel and those personalities. Lot of talent side firms poach from there. Otherwise you'd probably want to go downtown. They definitely work very hard there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:13 am

Any more insight on this?

I've heard they work a butt-ton but that for breaking into Entertainment work there is no better place to do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:17 am

Anyone know if I get in with the ny office if I can split summer with la/cc office or transfer to one of them? I'm interested in sports/entertainment with them mainly
Which isn't in ny

On that note would this be a good or bad thing to mention at my cb next week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if I get in with the ny office if I can split summer with la/cc office or transfer to one of them? I'm interested in sports/entertainment with them mainly
Which isn't in ny

Could you not have interviewed with the LA offices in the first place?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if I get in with the ny office if I can split summer with la/cc office or transfer to one of them? I'm interested in sports/entertainment with them mainly
Which isn't in ny

Could you not have interviewed with the LA offices in the first place?

Allegedly the CC office works a ton and the firms financials are somewhat scary.

I just want someone to come in here and justify taking the leap over more stable firms.

In any case: ask once you get an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:42 am

Ya I couldn't get la office I was lucky to get a lat minute screener with ny office and now cb next week. Really interested in m&a but also the sports and ent. Sadly these are two separate offices across the country

Edit: I'm just wondering if during the cb they ask my interest(a) if it's a smart or dumb thing to say

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:50 am

Don't bait and switch, but if you would be happy in NY too it might be better to wait until after to discuss.
Anonymous User wrote:Ya I couldn't get la office I was lucky to get a lat minute screener with ny office and now cb next week. Really interested in m&a but also the sports and ent. Sadly these are two separate offices across the country

Edit: I'm just wondering if during the cb they ask my interest(a) if it's a smart or dumb thing to say

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Don't bait and switch, but if you would be happy in NY too it might be better to wait until after to discuss.
Anonymous User wrote:Ya I couldn't get la office I was lucky to get a lat minute screener with ny office and now cb next week. Really interested in m&a but also the sports and ent. Sadly these are two separate offices across the country

I'd be happy in ny too but definitely sports and entertainment is what really attracts me about OMM. And with little time to prep for the screener I didn't know it was strictly in la (although I suppose common sense would dictate that) but either way that's my situation

Return to “Legal Employment”