Skadden DE vs. Latham NYC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden DE vs. Latham NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:38 pm

So, I was fortunate enough to receive offers from both of these firms, and am truly torn between the two. Any advice TLS could possibly provide would be more than welcome. A background on my situation:

I am looking to do corporate work. Not sure in which specific practice area, though. Would also entertain Bankruptcy work (especially in DE). Any idea which firm would provide the best work opportunities? I would assume Latham, but idk for sure.

I am from neither of these markets, and wouldn't mind possibly returning home some day. With that in mind, exit options are important to me. Would working in DE make me less marketable (or even unmarketable) anywhere in the country, compared to working in NYC?

I am engaged and planning on starting a family a couple years after graduating law school. I also have a dog who I'm sure would prefer a house and yard to an apartment, but that is definitely not a deciding factor. My fiancee's job is available anywhere in the country (think nurse, teacher, etc).

If there's anything you would need to know before helping me out, just let me know. And, thanks in advance for any good advice!!!

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden DE vs. Latham NYC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Dude, take the Skadden. I mean both are great options. With that being said, I'd be nervous about Latham pulling a dick move and no offering (although I know that's rare to happen again). I'm in a similar position, except I'm not engaged (but close to) and you can't listen to tons of single males because their priorities are different (understandably). Regarding exit options, I have no clue but skaddens a great firm regardless. In NYC you'll eventually be looking to get out (back home or the burbs) so just skip right to it, plus the pay goes further in DE and lugging a dog up and down an elevator 5x/day blows. Trust me I did it for a few years...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:01 pm

I seriously doubt Latham would pull a move like that again, at least not anytime soon. Haven't they been offering most of their summers as of late?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Does Skadden DE even really do transactional?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does Skadden DE even really do transactional?

They absolutely do transactional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

A few posts on TLS, along with what I was told on a CB, indicate that while the office does do M&A it's a small department and not everyone who wants it will get it. (not op)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A few posts on TLS, along with what I was told on a CB, indicate that while the office does do M&A it's a small department and not everyone who wants it will get it. (not op)

I work in Wilmington and its not at all my impression that their M&A work is going to be in the same league as NYC's. they do a lot of great work but I wouldn't go there for corp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW I was told the same thing. Ultimately did not accept my offer for that reason. Wilmington + 160k would be great CoL wise, but I would worry too much about getting slotted into restructuring or litigation. I was told they put 1 of their new associates in restructuring even though they definitely wanted M&A.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

FWIW I was told the same thing. Ultimately did not accept my offer for that reason. Wilmington + 160k would be great CoL wise, but I would worry too much about getting slotted into restructuring or litigation. I was told they put 1 of their new associates in restructuring even though they definitely wanted M&A.

Yeah I was given a similar example on my callback. Did you stay out of DE entirely then? Did you get a sense of general exit options for people at Skadden DE?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 am

OP here.

So, it sounds like DE, while certainly better for CoL short-term, might not be the right move to make for the long-term career. Anyone who knows anything about Wilmington's legal market that can speak to what exit options exist? How far does the Skadden name go once employers see that I was in the Delaware office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

So, it sounds like DE, while certainly better for CoL short-term, might not be the right move to make for the long-term career. Anyone who knows anything about Wilmington's legal market that can speak to what exit options exist? How far does the Skadden name go once employers see that I was in the Delaware office?

There are Skadden alum brochures floating around that can give you an idea. Not particularly different than any other office was my impression. Small sample though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 am

Skadden is way better for married people than Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden is way better for married people than Latham.

I think DE is overall better than NYC for that...
Another positive about DE that was mentioned in passing during some of my CBs at DE Big4 is that you do not have to do a lot of doc review... It might be different with Skadden though since they are not co-counsel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Pick Skadden. Do it for Otto

Return to “Legal Employment”