CB Cost Split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CB Cost Split

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Scheduled a cb in secondary market, then mentioned to another firm in the market that I would be in town, and got a cb for the next day. Do the firms have to split the cost if firm A already planned to reimburse me for travel and expenses; do I fill out my NALP form with both firms?

I would assume Firm A would want to split costs, but because the firm B cb was scheduled a bit later I did not get to mention it to Firm A recruiter (and Firm B recruiter did not ask about splitting or taking on costs). Mainly I am just worried that recruiters in this smaller market might talk to one another and I am not sure what general practice is.

Re: CB Cost Split

Postby 2014 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:55 pm

You don't have to, though doing so will enable you to get more free meals. One firm is usually willing to pay for one flight, hotel, dinner, breakfast and lunch (either with their attorneys or without). If you cost split, you can add on more meals and another hotel night if you desire.

If you are scared of the firms finding out about each other just don't submit the form for several weeks until you hear back. Regardless it shouldn't matter, it just goes to recruiting not the hiring committee.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: CB Cost Split

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm

I believe the NALP rule is that they have to split the costs.

Also, I've visited a couple of secondary markets now, and each time multiple people at each firm asked me "are you in town for long?" The great thing about that is that it sounds like a friendly and innocuous question, but when you answer that you're in town for more than one day, they know what to assume.

Like 2014 said, if you don't want them knowing the other firm's name, wait with the NALP form. They might just openly ask you, though.

Return to “Legal Employment”