Landing OC/SD Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Landing OC/SD Jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 am

I completely struck out in these two markets through OCI and mass mailing, so I wanted advice about what I should do to land a job (preferably biglaw) in those markets. I know the chances of me working in OC/SD immediately out of law school is practically zero, but what sort of considerations do these firms make when deciding to hire laterals/3Ls?

For instance, would it be better to work at a small firm in SoCal over biglaw in NorCal/OOS to establish stronger ties? If I choose to work NorCal or OOS, would it be best to go to the "highest" ranking firm (e.g., going to a V5 over a firm not in the V100)? Would firms be less willing to take an OOS lateral than an in-state lateral? And is there a practice area that I should focus on in particular to best improve my chances of landing an OC/SD job as a lateral/3L?

I'm sure these are pretty basic questions, but thanks for your help!

Return to “Legal Employment”