Advice Needed for New Job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice Needed for New Job

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 am

In a few weeks I am starting my new job. It'll be my first professional job as a practicing attorney- I was previously a paralegal during law school and I had a clerkship for the last two years. I'll be at a small firm, under 20 attorneys, and be working in one practice group with three partners that have worked together for a long time. I'll be the only associate in the group. I know they'll expect me to hit the ground running. They'll be training but no one is going to hold my hand. So what can I do to prepare myself before the job? What can I do once I start the job to be as independent as I can be?

In a similar vein, since I'm joining a long time practice group, what can I do to fit in and make a place for myself with them? Obviously, since all three partners wanted to hire me, they think I'm a good fit. I'm sure there's some tips to help this transition. Also, the three partners are male and I'm female, so I'm interested in hearing how other women have meshed in this situation.

thesealocust

Re: Advice Needed for New Job

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 am

Don't worry too much. They all were young attorneys once and have likely worked with them before too.

You can't really prepare for it, you just need to go in pain tolerant and willing to "fake it 'til you make it." Just keep a good attitude, realize that you'll be climbing a steep and unforgiving learning curve, and make sure you're willing to learn from things that go wrong instead of just being demoralized by them.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Do you know any associates at the firm, even in other groups? It would be helpful to have someone you can ask casual questions to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Loose Seal wrote:Do you know any associates at the firm, even in other groups? It would be helpful to have someone you can ask casual questions to.

I thinks that's great advice but I will be the 4th associate and don't k ow anyone else. I can befriend the other associates and will do that.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:28 pm

What was your clerkship like? I think there will probably be a lot of similarities.

Return to “Legal Employment”