Lie about other offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Lie about other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 pm

On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = severely retarded, is it a bad idea to lie to a firm that you had a CB with 3 weeks ago that you have another offer expiring soon so you have to hear back ASAP or by X date ( and then write how interested you are in the firm) ??

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby SportsFan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Seems really dumb and more likely to make them ding you, if anything.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Why would this be of any benefit to you? If you want to express interest/top choice or whatever, go for it, but there is nothing to be gained by telling them you have an expiring offer. They're not more likely to offer you because you made them hurry. So the morality aside, this is dumb.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby hephaestus » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

This is a terrible idea.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby lolwat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Why would this be of any benefit to you? If you want to express interest/top choice or whatever, go for it, but there is nothing to be gained by telling them you have an expiring offer. They're not more likely to offer you because you made them hurry. So the morality aside, this is dumb.


A lot of firms tell you to call them if you have another offer expiring so that they can make a quicker decision on you (assuming you want to work there more than the place you got the offer from). I don't know whether it helps or not to actually do so, and I don't know if they ever go out of their way to confirm that you do have the other offer. (Edit: certainly not suggesting that anyone lie about stuff, at least from a moral standpoint, but whether it actually has any negative effect on the application is a potentially different matter.)
Last edited by lolwat on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helfer snooterbagon
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Tell them the offer is from Kramerica and you will be set!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Honesty is the best policy.
"Always tell the truth--it's the easiest thing to remember." David Mamet-

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 pm

this guy lied about having an offer of employment.--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Rotor
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby Rotor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 pm

On your scale of +1 to +10, lying to people you want to hire you is about a -5.

I understand you want a decision. But if you press for an answer when they are not ready to answer, they will likely do like Nancy Reagan and just say "no."

Besides, if you claim to have another offer, you will open another door to say "no" because they may think "We can pass on him/her because he/she already has another offer."

ETA: (to the extent the people you interviewed with have a shred of empathy in their hiring. If the have none, you still get no benefit)

law321
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby law321 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a scale of 1-10 where 1 = severely retarded, is it a bad idea to lie to a firm that you had a CB with 3 weeks ago that you have another offer expiring soon so you have to hear back ASAP or by X date ( and then write how interested you are in the firm) ??



This would be idiotic (and unethical). Do not do this.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:30 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:this guy lied about having an offer of employment.--LinkRemoved--

LOL. I hadn't seen that before, but it's hilarious. The bit about the Four Seasons also suggests good reason to be nice to travel departments at the top firms - even though most are obviously outsourced.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby androstan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 pm

The -5 rating sounds about right. Don't do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:02 pm

not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby bk1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"

They are asking generally about your callbacks/offers. You can say that you had 2 callbacks last week or that you will be doing a callback later this week or that you have offers expiring in 22 days (assuming that it's the truth). Try to spin it as positive as you can (i.e. if you don't have any other callbacks and have no offers, say something like "I'm still waiting to hear from 5 firms that I did screening interviews with").

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"

"I'd like to have an offer from yall by tomorrow"

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"


When I was at my one callback, a partner asked me if I had any other callbacks and I just said "no, this is actually the only callback I've gotten so far," to which he responded "Hey, that's great for us!" I just sort of laughed and said something like "there's always an upside!"

Got the offer though.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby hichvichwoh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:not to hijack the thread but on a related note, when a recruiter sits you down after a callback and asks about your "timeline" are they asking if you currently have any offers? someone asked me that the other day, and I don't currently have an offer so I was really awkward about it because I wasn't sure if I should say "hey no one likes me! i have no offers!"

"I'd like to have an offer from yall by tomorrow"


do not say this. I know rad was making a joke but I want to make sure there's no one out there who doesn't pick up on it.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby envisciguy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Just to echo what everyone else said, that sounds like a phenomenally bad idea. Even if it doesn't backfire, I have to imagine that violates your school's honor code/decent human morals.

Pokemon
Posts: 1857
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby Pokemon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 pm

1.

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:27 am

It's kind of sad that you were considering lying enough to make a thread on it...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 pm

DON'T DO IT

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lie about other offers

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:17 pm

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.