Difficulty accepting dream offer? Experience similar?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
laxbrah420

Re: Difficulty accepting dream offer? Experience similar?

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:18 pm

I think it's fair to ask, "Does biglaw close any opportunities?"
Differently worded, does biglaw carry any costs besides time

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:36 pm

the world is not going to stop spinning because there are people in the vale, and i say that as someone with the utmost sympathy for people in the vale etc. this habit of going into every thread to shit on people's legitimate concerns because someone might have a worse problem is annoying. by that metric, nobody should be complaining in america about anything since some kid has it worse in damascus. if you don't like op's question and concerns, just avoid the thread.

people lose it in biglaw. partners have walked away from it all. it's not an easy decision for everyone to make and for some, there's more to life than slaving away for money (however relatively large a sum that may be). his concerns are not unusual, and it's baffling why it bothers you this much.

I didn't bring up the Vale to show that other people have worse problems than OP. I brought it up to point out that there are so many unemployed people out there, that if he turns down this offer with nothing else already lined up, there is a substantial chance of him also graduating unemployed, and that is NOT a place he wants to be because unemployment is worse than "slaving away for money" (and if he dislikes the biglaw lifestyle, what he does is search for a job while he's working--not turn down the offer to continue searching for a job).

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:51 pm

Ps, op what was your "serious job" before law school?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:53 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I think it's fair to ask, "Does biglaw close any opportunities?"
Differently worded, does biglaw carry any costs besides time

Honestly, I don't think so, except it will cost you time at an accelerated pace. You'll age more than a year in a year in biglaw, almost guaranteed, and not in the cool "let's age this fine wine so it gets more oak flavor" kind of way either.

Even a year or two at a brand firm is money in the bank, tremendous life experience, and something people will nod knowingly about on your resume and in your elevator pitch going forward.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:50 am

thesealocust wrote:it will cost you time at an accelerated pace. You'll age more than a year in a year in biglaw, almost guaranteed, and not in the cool "let's age this fine wine so it gets more oak flavor" kind of way either.

This is the most depressing thing I have read all day.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:34 pm

OP, as many have said, this is just a summer. Take time to evaluate it from there. Like you, I wanted big law. I did the big law summer thing and I realized that this was good, but I want more out of my life than billing way too many hours a year. At this point, the big law summer gig allows you to trade and find a good job at a regional lifestyle firm or a top state firm where you'd like to practice. I think the tougher decision will come after the summer when you decide where you will begin your career.

Don't feel bad about asking this question either. This is a place for advice. While big law pays very well, there are other variables that should go into your job decision (if you have that luxury). That being said, there's nothing wrong with riding the big law train for a couple of years and then jumping off once you've paid some debt off or built a bit of a cushion for yourself. Also, some people like working big law. If that's you, that's no problem (I only say that because I feel my post reads very: big law=not the way, when it could be the way for you).

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Are you sure this is really about fear of the negative aspects of biglaw? I say that because, as others have pointed out, it doesn't sound like you're choosing between biglaw and something else - you've just been presented with what you wanted and you're scared to grab it. And you sound like you don't quite know why. Someone whose only concern was long hours etc. would have been able to identify that, unequivocally. To me, your post sounds more like either a fear of success (a real thing) or the typical refusal-to-believe-success-when-it-happens that is shown by a lot of anxious law school types. As in, you don't want to accept the offer because then surely another shoe will drop. I could be wrong, but do some introspection. And accept the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Are you sure this is really about fear of the negative aspects of biglaw? I say that because, as others have pointed out, it doesn't sound like you're choosing between biglaw and something else - you've just been presented with what you wanted and you're scared to grab it. And you sound like you don't quite know why. Someone whose only concern was long hours etc. would have been able to identify that, unequivocally. To me, your post sounds more like either a fear of success (a real thing) or the typical refusal-to-believe-success-when-it-happens that is shown by a lot of anxious law school types. As in, you don't want to accept the offer because then surely another shoe will drop. I could be wrong, but do some introspection. And accept the offer.

It's not cold feet when you don't have a choice.

Return to “Legal Employment”