Irell LA v Gibson DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Irell LA v Gibson DC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 am

Totally torn and could use some advice. I really loved both when I visited and think I could be happy at either. I know I want to do litigation, preferably white collar, and would eventually like to end up at a USAO. Also hard to imagine settling down long term in either city, so transferability is a concern. The big draw for Irell is the amount of substantive work juniors get, while the draw for Gibson is their broader practice options and big investigative cases.

Anyone want to weigh in?

Loose Seal

Re: Irell LA v Gibson DC

Postby Loose Seal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 pm

If you know you don't want to settle in either city, Gibson will give you more options to move around afterwards, IMHO. Did you get any sense from your callbacks about whether one or the other firm was more open/receptive to associates leaving the firm to go to government? I ask because one of the reasons I chose my firm is the fact that they are very supportive of associates leaving for DOJ, USAO, etc., and this supportiveness translates into the firm actually helping you get those jobs once you're ready. That could be a deciding factor between the two, all other things being equal.

If moving around/leaving your initial market was not a consideration, Irell all the way.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:33 pm

I'd think Gibson Dunn is probably the right choice here for you, but that's just my sense of the firms. I got dinged from both firms but at least had a callback at Irell. Gibson Dunn DC is one of the firms/offices that is more well known for being kind of a revolving door for leaving for/coming back from USAO/DOJ. I'm not sure about Irell (though I suspect less so), but I really loved that firm when I interviewed and wished that they didn't ding me. Isn't most of their work still IP lit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:28 pm

It looks like Gibson DC has a lot more former gov people than Irell, though it doesn't seem that a ton of them were former AUSAs. I'd probably lean Gibson DC since you want to transition into government later. I think where you want to end up long term matters too though. If you want to end up somewhere on the west coast then I'd lean Irell, but if you wanted to end up on the east coast I'd lean Gibson DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 pm

lolwat wrote:Isn't most of their work still IP lit?

About half.

anonymous2012

Postby anonymous2012 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:44 am

Gibson DC is the better brand name, which will help if applying to USAO or other govt in middle markets.

And DC >>>>>> LA, IMO.

If you know you want to litigate civil cases on the west coast, Irell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 am

Loose Seal wrote:If moving around/leaving your initial market was not a consideration, Irell all the way.

Totally agree with this. Gibson is big on having a lot of cross-office work and being generally flexible in allowing associates to relocate to different offices. If you don't want to be in LA long-term, it just doesn't make sense to go to Irell, especially if you want to go to the east coast at some point.

There have been plenty of Irell associates who go to the USAO but, again, if you want to go to SDNY/EDNY, Gibson DC makes a lot more sense than Irell.

I know you say geography isn't a concern right now but you need to factor in where you eventually want to end up, at least the coast. I'd base my decision off of that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:47 am

OP here. Thanks everyone for the advice. In terms of transferability, part of my concern is that it may be easier to leave BigLaw sooner if I've acquired more skills than to be at GDC for years and have less to show for it. Am I assuming a greater disparity between what junior associates do at each firm than there really is? And will GDC truly be a bigger help for regional USAOs if I don't want to stay in DC?

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks everyone for the advice. In terms of transferability, part of my concern is that it may be easier to leave BigLaw sooner if I've acquired more skills than to be at GDC for years and have less to show for it. Am I assuming a greater disparity between what junior associates do at each firm than there really is? And will GDC truly be a bigger help for regional USAOs if I don't want to stay in DC?

I think it's more a question of: 1) where do the partners at the firm have professional connections (e.g., where can they help you get a job outside the firm when you are ready); and 2) what is the reputation of the firm nationally, on average? I think if you may want to end up back in the east coast, GDC has a stronger east-coast reputation and has more connections to east-coast USAOs or DOJ positions. I'm sure your substantive experience will matter as well, but between two law firm experiences, I think networking connections will be more determinative in whether you move your way off the AUSA hiring wait list.

If there are any Irell folks out there, feel free to correct me if I'm underestimating the firm's ties to the east coast.

Return to “Legal Employment”