Why do NYU people go to Ropes and not Wilmer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why do NYU people go to Ropes and not Wilmer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:32 am

Lots of data, ranging from the list of 2013 summers distributed by the school to ATL's list of top schools by headcount suggest that there are a lot of NYU people at Ropes, and relatively few at Wilmer.

I'm considering Wilmer (not NY), and trying to figure out what I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Anonymous User

Re: Why do NYU people go to Ropes and not Wilmer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:13 am

Just because you got an offer from Ropes doesn't mean you got an offer from Wilmer. Wilmer and Ropes look for different things in candidates. I went to Ropes, but I didn't even get a callback at Wilmer. Maybe NYU people are interested in corporate rather than litigation. If you want to go to Wilmer, by all means don't feel like you have to go to Ropes. I know people who summered at Wilmer and really liked it.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Lots of data, ranging from the list of 2013 summers distributed by the school to ATL's list of top schools by headcount suggest that there are a lot of NYU people at Ropes, and relatively few at Wilmer.

I'm considering Wilmer (not NY), and trying to figure out what I'm missing here.

Thanks,
links to these?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:42 am

Also, law students are prone to weird herding and flavor of the month behavior.

Firms are sometimes just idiosyncratic too. As one good example, I've always enjoyed the fact that (generally / through OCI, not as an absolute rule) Wachtell hires from NYU but not UVA and Williams & Connolly hires from UVA but not NYU.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:47 am

Are you talking about Boston offices? Otherwise this comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.

My impression was WH Boston is particular in its hiring and might prefer a BU/BC student over an NYU one just based on Boston ties, experience hiring from the school, etc. It strikes me as a more insular office than Ropes in that way. Keep in mind that the WilmerHale merger was less than a decade ago and the Boston office is still basically Hale & Dorr, which was a very "Boston" firm.

My guess is it's a combination of NYU students thinking "I will only go to Boston for the TOP FIRM (i.e. Ropes, though that's an asinine line to draw)" and Wilmer not hiring as many of them. You're not missing anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:45 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Are you talking about Boston offices? Otherwise this comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.

My impression was WH Boston is particular in its hiring and might prefer a BU/BC student over an NYU one just based on Boston ties, experience hiring from the school, etc. It strikes me as a more insular office than Ropes in that way. Keep in mind that the WilmerHale merger was less than a decade ago and the Boston office is still basically Hale & Dorr, which was a very "Boston" firm.

My guess is it's a combination of NYU students thinking "I will only go to Boston for the TOP FIRM (i.e. Ropes, though that's an asinine line to draw)" and Wilmer not hiring as many of them. You're not missing anything.
I don't think Wilmer prefers BU/BC people. I go to one of those schools, and very top students from Boston with strong ties to the area weren't getting callbacks. But I definitely got a sense that Wilmer was looking for something in particular, but I just don't know what it is. Maybe OP is one of those types, and thus feels a greater affinity for Wilmer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Are you talking about Boston offices? Otherwise this comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.

Can't be talking about the Boston office.. don't think there was a single NYU person last summer in Boston.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Can't be talking about the Boston office.. don't think there was a single NYU person last summer in Boston.
So if it's not NY and it's not Boston then I don't even understand the question. Every other office for these firms is either small or comparing apples to oranges (e.g. DC).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why can't it be Boston? Nothing from OP suggests not Boston.

I'm considering Wilmer Boston, but interested in Corp work. Firm rep seems great in Boston in general, but not sure how I feel about it's corp department.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Not true-- check the list posted on the OCS website. There were two or three NYU people in Boston last year, I think.

EDIT: oh, you might mean in the Ropes Boston office. I think that's accurate, but might just be a one-year fluke.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”