Willkie NY vs. Mayer Brown NY vs. Orrick NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

So, where am I working?

Willkie
65%
Mayer
18%
Orrick
18%

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

Willkie NY vs. Mayer Brown NY vs. Orrick NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Looking at litigation generally, soft IP more specifically. Care more about firm culture and opportunity to have responsibility early in my career than anything else, though horror stories or general comments about quality of life would be helpful. So would any information about offer rates. Got a better feel for the people at Willkie, but it seems Mayer has a stronger IP practice, and I feel like Orrick is a more dynamic firm with more interesting exit options, so it's kind of a coin flip right now.

Anonymous User

Re: Willkie NY vs. Mayer Brown NY vs. Orrick NY

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 am

Did you have a hard science background? I've heard a lot of bad things from attorneys and SAs at Mayer Brown regarding firm culture/QOL. Willkie on the other hand has been positive overall, though I can't say much beyond anecdotes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you have a hard science background? I've heard a lot of bad things from attorneys and SAs at Mayer Brown regarding firm culture/QOL. Willkie on the other hand has been positive overall, though I can't say much beyond anecdotes.

No hard science background, and I get the sense MB's IP focus is more patent-y. (Also, bump.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:56 pm

All IP (including soft IP) at Mayer Brown is limited to those with hard science backgrounds only. And youre right, its mostly all hard IP now. I agree with the other poster that Willkie is the best option for you based on your interest in soft-IP lit and firm culture.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:04 am

Can attest that, as an assoc, MB NYC has a relatively pleasant culture/QOL. No yellers, lots of work to go around, but reasonable hours.

Return to “Legal Employment”