(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Notice: I'm not trying to brag. I'm legitimately asking for more criteria upon which to base a decision. I am extremely thankful to be in the position of needing to make a choice.

I cannot make a decision between my two SA offers. I liked both groups of people that I met with (but then, I'm pretty friendly in general, and it takes a lot for me not to like someone). I have spoken with a 3L from each firm's 2013 summer class at my school and tried to figure out what I could from them (they both said they loved it and are so excited to go back, basically). The firms are in the same market, and do pretty similar work. Each firm has had years without 100% offer rates, but last summer they each had 100%. Summer class sizes are both in the 10-14 range.

The biggest differentiator is that Firm A makes practice-group specific offers (as in, specific groups like Environmental Lit or M&A), and Firm B makes offers based on lit/transactional. Firm A also has more offices nationwide, and Firm B is more regional, though still well respected.

From what I can tell they both seem to be stable, respected firms (I've done my TLS/ATL reading on them both, and have read lots of recent news stories). Ranking differences are pretty small, but Firm A comes out on top there.

How the heck do you differentiate firms? The "gut check" isn't yielding any info, and the stats are just so similar that I don't know what to do.

Danger Zone

Re: Indecision

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:20 pm

Good question.

But seriously, I don't think anyone can give you an answer without more information. Do you have a practice area preference? And what are the firms? You are anon.

Re: Indecision

Postby badaboom61 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Doubtful anyone can help you much here. These sound like very comparable firms, and it sounds like you can't go right or wrong either way. If you can't pick based on the distinctions between the firms (national vs regional, specific vs general group, etc), and really don't have a gut feeling either way, flipping a coin seems like a fine decision maker. Being fairly serious.

Return to “Legal Employment”