follow up thank yous

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

follow up thank yous

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:42 pm

i know this has been discussed but i coudnt find it. i have an interview with a small, 3 person firm. just curious if i should be more inclined to send a thank you as a follow up or no.
thanks

alicrimson

Re: follow up thank yous

Postby alicrimson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Is it a screener at OCI or are they bringing you to their office for a round of interviews. If bringing you to their office, I would do a handwritten thank you note for each interviewer. Some folks think it's hokey, but that's my style. Older individuals like getting them and they took time out of their day to interview you. Doesn't seem like it could hurt.

If it's a screener, I wouldn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i know this has been discussed but i coudnt find it. i have an interview with a small, 3 person firm. just curious if i should be more inclined to send a thank you as a follow up or no.
thanks

for this size firm i think it's a really good idea to do so. they probably pay attention to the little things a little more than attorneys at larger sized firms, where tons of students come in to interview every year. make sure you individualize each thank you as well.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Why wouldn't you? You aren't going to lose the job for sending a thank you follow-up. It can only help you, but not doing it can hurt you.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Just don't make any typos or grammatical errors. That can actually hurt you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 pm

How personalized do they need to be? Mine were all three or four sentences and the first two are always the same ("Thanks for taking the time to meet with me on X. It was a pleasure meeting you and I enjoyed learning more about your firm."). After that, I added a personal sentence or two...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Should I be doing individualized thank you notes for CB's where I meet 10 attorneys?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:21 pm

is it too corny to write something about 'being apart of the team'?

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be doing individualized thank you notes for CB's where I meet 10 attorneys?

I did than yous to everyone after screeners. However, after CB I have been sending a thank you e-mail to the recruiters and asking them to pass along my thanks.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it too corny to write something about 'being apart of the team'?

Yes, but thank you emails are corny in general.

Anonymous User wrote:Should I be doing individualized thank you notes for CB's where I meet 10 attorneys?

Yes. Failing to personalize the message is another way (aside from spelling/grammar) that a thank you can hurt you.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it too corny to write something about 'being apart of the team'?

Maybe not, but check your spelling. I think you mean "being a part of the team." Being apart is actually what you don't want! Lol

Also, fwiw, the offer I ultimately accepted for post-grad employment was the first job for which I did NOT send thank you letters. I don't think they matter much.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 pm

For a 3 person firm I'd be more inclined to do so. I used to send thank-yous to everyone I interviewed with, now I don't anymore unless there's a reason to. I interviewed with an alum of my school at a firm a while back so I did send a tyvm email to them. If I do e-mail someone with a legitimate follow-up (e.g., asking questions I forgot to ask during the interview--yes this is typically a formality but it does occasionally happen) I do begin the e-mail with a tyvm, though.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I did and it didn't hurt me. I'm not sure how individualized you need to be, but I always opened with a sentence or two that was similar and then referenced a specific topic that we discussed during the interview. The thank yous were four-five sentences tops.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Seems like I'm in the minority. I wouldn't send any thank you notes. I have not sent any and have no problems getting internships/jobs.

Caveat: I have never interviewed with small firms like the one you mentioned.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Might be more generally appropriate at a small firm than at a gigantic one. This topic has been done unto death, searching will yield you an evening's worth of material.

Return to “Legal Employment”