Wisdom of "You're my top Firm"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wisdom of "You're my top Firm"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I realize there is lively debate out there on this topic. It can reek of desperation, and it can be generally awkward to say regardless. Wondering what the consensus out there is for whether or not it should be said if you are at, say a T10 school, Law Review, top 10%. Can it backfire? Does it help?

Anonymous User

Re: Wisdom of "You're my top Firm"

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize there is lively debate out there on this topic. It can reek of desperation, and it can be generally awkward to say regardless. Wondering what the consensus out there is for whether or not it should be said if you are at, say a T10 school, Law Review, top 10%. Can it backfire? Does it help?

As you said, there is lively debate on this.

I think that you can hint at it or say the firm is a top choice without reeking of desperation. I'll phrase it along the lines of xyz make A firm a top choice for me or if given the opportunity, I'd absolutely love to work at A firm (because of xyz).

I'm sure others will disagree, though. It also probably depends on how your interview is going with the person - if it is clearly a bad interview and during a long pause you shout 'A is my top choice firm and I'll definitely accept if offered a position!!", well, that's probably only going to make things worse and make you look desperate. If things are going well and it can be casually slipped into the conversation, then I think it's fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:17 pm

I did it and I got an offer. If you're genuine and don't say it in a desperate sounding way it can work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Also did this and got an offer. I think if your credentials are solid then it doesn't sound as desperate.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also did this and got an offer. I think if your credentials are solid then it doesn't sound as desperate.

It doesn't help and it also doesn't matter. No one will remember or care that you said this. Firms don't yield protect. If you have the grades and they like you you and going to get an offer. If you don't have the grades or if they don't like you, saying they are your first choice is not going to change anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:32 pm

RELIC wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also did this and got an offer. I think if your credentials are solid then it doesn't sound as desperate.

It doesn't help and it also doesn't matter. No one will remember or care that you said this. Firms don't yield protect. If you have the grades and they like you you and going to get an offer. If you don't have the grades or if they don't like you, saying they are your first choice is not going to change anything.

I actually disagree.

Some firms don't care (think top vault firms) but firms where students from your school will rarely choose (lower yield) because of its low prestige... if you have a good reason to say that "this firm is one of my top choices" then it can definitely help (think HYSCCN student interviewing at bottom of V100 or outside the Vault). Some firms are surprisingly self conscious about certain schools always turning them down, and so they are looking for you to have a good reason to want to work there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RELIC wrote:

I actually disagree.

Some firms don't care (think top vault firms) but firms where students from your school will rarely choose (lower yield) because of its low prestige... if you have a good reason to say that "this firm is one of my top choices" then it can definitely help (think HYSCCN student interviewing at bottom of V100 or outside the Vault). Some firms are surprisingly self conscious about certain schools always turning them down, and so they are looking for you to have a good reason to want to work there.

I've heard from reputable sources (i.e. career services/firm insiders) that yield protection is real even at top firms even at callbacks.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RELIC wrote:

I actually disagree.

I've heard from reputable sources (i.e. career services/firm insiders) that yield protection is real even at top firms even at callbacks.

LOL at career services being reputable.

But also the situation described above is very uncommon. 99% of the people considering saying a firm is their top choice will not being that situation. And even if you are in the 1% of people that might be in that situation, saying "Your firm is really my top choice!" won't help half as much as demonstrating an interest in the firm's specific practice groups or other ties to the firm or its location. "You're my top choice!" just sounds like BS and 99% of the time it will not make a difference.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:23 pm

The problem with the strategy is that firms know their fungible. If you have a background narrowly tailored (HAHAHA LAW) to that firm, you won't have to say they're your first choice because it's obvious. If you don't, it will come across as insincere. Most firms have competitors that are identical and would probably have merged were it not for conflicts of interest and the fact that every deal and litigation has (at least) two sides...

I like my firm a lot, but honestly if somebody told me it was their first choice mid-callback I'd be like "well that's kind of weird."

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm

As others have said, don't say it's your top choice, prove it. You can also say it outright, but you better be able to back that up with something better than some vague interest in their strongest practice area.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 am

I think there are situations where it makes sense, mainly if you're a T14 or otherwise impressive student looking to go back to your smaller home city and you might be seen as overqualified for the local firms. Otherwise it seems like a bad idea.

Return to “Legal Employment”