Proskauer Boston

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Proskauer Boston

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Can anyone provide any information about Proskauer's Boston office? Particularly culture, its image in Boston, where associates wind up going that don't make partner? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Proskauer Boston

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Strong IP (litigation and transactional), private equity, and finance practices. All are highly regarded in Boston as rivaling Ropes on the corporate side and Wilmer on the litigation side. If you work in the fund formation market you usually run into them and K&E all of the time.

Most of the Proskauer Boston office partners used to be at a firm called Testa, which had a very venture capital "cool" type culture. People I've met who work there seem pretty laid back and casual. Most of their clients are not in Boston though so it's a pretty national practice and not really tied to the region or Boston economy, so they are less known locally than other Boston based firms.

I have no idea how their interviews work though, I'd assume it is typical.

(I worked at a firm in Boston that has dealt with them)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Strong IP (litigation and transactional), private equity, and finance practices. All are highly regarded in Boston as rivaling Ropes on the corporate side and Wilmer on the litigation side. If you work in the fund formation market you usually run into them and K&E all of the time.

Most of the Proskauer Boston office partners used to be at a firm called Testa, which had a very venture capital "cool" type culture. People I've met who work there seem pretty laid back and casual. Most of their clients are not in Boston though so it's a pretty national practice and not really tied to the region or Boston economy, so they are less known locally than other Boston based firms.

Is most/all of the PE work fund formation, or do they represent PE firms in all stages?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Strong IP (litigation and transactional), private equity, and finance practices. All are highly regarded in Boston as rivaling Ropes on the corporate side and Wilmer on the litigation side. If you work in the fund formation market you usually run into them and K&E all of the time.

Is most/all of the PE work fund formation, or do they represent PE firms in all stages?

They represent the funds for the entirety of the fund. Not just setting it up. They do some transaction side work as well, but I think they are best known for the fund side work in Boston. I've seen deals from them before where the transaction is done by people in their NY and LA office, but I know that the fund was formed by their Boston people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 am

In addition to the PE fund formation, they do a lot of Mezzanine debt. As of two years ago they were pushing to get a lot more transactional work but I have no clue how that worked out. Overall, decently nice people and I haven't heard many complaints (which can't be said of all Boston firms).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 am

my interviewers there were the weirdest I have seen in 13 callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:my interviewers there were the weirdest I have seen in 13 callbacks.

Would you mind elaborating on this a little bit please?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 am

Just an odd group of people. I don't feel like any of them were very friendly. In my experience it's pretty rare not to click with anyone.

Maybe they could smell my complete lack of desire to do fund formation work. I know others who have had better experiences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just an odd group of people. I don't feel like any of them were very friendly. In my experience it's pretty rare not to click with anyone.

Maybe they could smell my complete lack of desire to do fund formation work. I know others who have had better experiences.

my experience was quite different. i was impressed by the interviewer on campus and at the callback stage i thought the place was the least stuffy of most the places i interviewed with in boston. granted, i had some finance experience before law school so maybe my interest seemed more genuine.

Return to “Legal Employment”