Rejection Letter from Firm...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rejection Letter from Firm...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:49 am

So I received a letter from a firm I interviewed with at OCI. During OCI, me and the attorney who did the screener really connected well - I enjoyed meeting him and so forth. However, he was from the firm's main office and I was interviewing for a satellite office that had a really small litigation group. I am primarily interested in litigation so I knew it was a long shot that they would call me back. Sure enough, I got rejected.

But now the part where I have a question: so the letter is a standard rejection letter from the firm. Then the attorney who interviewed me hand-wrote a personal note to me saying how he enjoyed meeting me, our conversation, etc. He said that he is really sorry that they cannot call me back: the litigation group in the satellite office decided they did not need a SA. He ends by saying that he wishes me the best and he will keep me updated if the office changes their mind.

So obviously the note was personalized...to the point of being hand-written. I have never received any rejection like that before: all my rejections were clearly form letters. My question is whether I should at all thank him again for his note/time or just ignore it.

And #2, if I should acknowledge the note, what should I write him? Just thank him?

thanks!

RELIC

Re: Rejection Letter from Firm...

Postby RELIC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I received a letter from a firm I interviewed with at OCI. During OCI, me and the attorney who did the screener really connected well - I enjoyed meeting him and so forth. However, he was from the firm's main office and I was interviewing for a satellite office that had a really small litigation group. I am primarily interested in litigation so I knew it was a long shot that they would call me back. Sure enough, I got rejected.

But now the part where I have a question: so the letter is a standard rejection letter from the firm. Then the attorney who interviewed me hand-wrote a personal note to me saying how he enjoyed meeting me, our conversation, etc. He said that he is really sorry that they cannot call me back: the litigation group in the satellite office decided they did not need a SA. He ends by saying that he wishes me the best and he will keep me updated if the office changes their mind.

So obviously the note was personalized...to the point of being hand-written. I have never received any rejection like that before: all my rejections were clearly form letters. My question is whether I should at all thank him again for his note/time or just ignore it.

And #2, if I should acknowledge the note, what should I write him? Just thank him?

thanks!

Cool story bro.

I think you know the answer to this. Just send him a quick email thanking him for his note and telling him to keep in touch.

aliens

Re: Rejection Letter from Firm...

Postby aliens » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 am

Absolutely write him a very quick thank you. This is networking at its finest. He may later refer you to another contact who is hiring, he may later be hiring, or you can ask him for advice/referrals down the road. He took the time to write you a personal note and it's courteous to thank him for that.

Return to “Legal Employment”