Splitting hairs here making a decision...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting hairs here making a decision...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 am

Extremely grateful for how well I did in terms of offers. Not meaning to ask annoying questions or set off the classic TLS, "STFU" responses. I really do not know how to decide between these firms. I am definitely interested in corporate, but within that I have no clue. M&A seems great, funds too, real estate, bankruptcy and even tax. I really can't know with any specificity at this point. Will I stay in law for long? for short? Don't know. Best exit options? Also, don't know. Help needed. Thanks guys.

FIRMS (All NYC):

S&C
Skadden
Davis Polk
Debevoise
Weil

Waiting on Simpson (was there recently).

Old Gregg

Re: Splitting hairs here making a decision...

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:12 am

Since your desires are pretty general, you should go to a firm that's great in a range of areas. Also, firm stability should play a bigger role. I'd therefore drive this down to S&C, DPW and STB if you get it. From there, choose from whichever one you gel with the best.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:36 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Since your desires are pretty general, you should go to a firm that's great in a range of areas. Also, firm stability should play a bigger role. I'd therefore drive this down to S&C, DPW and STB if you get it. From there, choose from whichever one you gel with the best.

I am not OP, but why not Skadden? Seems odd to cut them out like that. Also, why not think about culture? Skadden and DPW have really different atmospheres.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 am

hibiki wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Since your desires are pretty general, you should go to a firm that's great in a range of areas. Also, firm stability should play a bigger role. I'd therefore drive this down to S&C, DPW and STB if you get it. From there, choose from whichever one you gel with the best.

I am not OP, but why not Skadden? Seems odd to cut them out like that. Also, why not think about culture? Skadden and DPW have really different atmospheres.

Forgot to include Skadden. I did say think about culture. That was encapsulated in "choose from whichever one you gel with the best."

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:48 am

Go where ever you think fits you best on a personal level. I know it is hard to tell with just a CB but I would go with your gut.

Return to “Legal Employment”