Address bad grade in practice area at callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Address bad grade in practice area at callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:00 pm

I got a bad grade that is relevant to my practice area that I am pursuing. Should I address this in the callback with the partners or should I just hope that they don't realize? I have already had one ding from a callback that I believe is related solely to this grade being not up to standard. Thanks!

sopranorleone

Re: Address bad grade in practice area at callback?

Postby sopranorleone » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:02 pm

I wouldn't bring it up unless the interviewer asks you about it. Presumably, since you've made it to the callback stage, you're over the GPA cutoff if the firm has one.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Never draw attention to your negatives. If they bring it up be able to discuss it, but don't bring it up on your own.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice!

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:35 am

Have a good, quick, practiced answer to address the negative quickly and roll into a positive if it comes up. Example: i had a terrible undergrad GPA. Got asked about it one time - i said i lacked direction but took law school as a chance to redeem myself, which i had with my superior grades.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:55 am

sopranorleone wrote:I wouldn't bring it up unless the interviewer asks you about it. Presumably, since you've made it to the callback stage, you're over the GPA cutoff if the firm has one.

x2. Definitely have a prepared response because it might be an issue.

simpleAs

Postby simpleAs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:44 pm

From Guerilla tactics: You could also prepare an answer where you mention that you took exam-taking advice for that particular class that didn't pan out (but you tossed it for other exams, found your own style, and did fine). Or make something up about the professor's teaching style not meshing (but respectfully).

Additionally, if a weakness question like this does come your way, make sure to show that you understand the shortcoming and worked to correct it; maybe follow your explanation with the example of going to that course's professor after the semester to go over your exam and see where you went wrong.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Law school classes have almost nothing to do with practice, and hiring decisions at the callback stage are made by impressions and interviews (and/or by a hiring committee that's still considering your grades, where no explanation will help anyway).

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a bad grade that is relevant to my practice area that I am pursuing. Should I address this in the callback with the partners or should I just hope that they don't realize? I have already had one ding from a callback that I believe is related solely to this grade being not up to standard. Thanks!

You are a 2L now right?

I strongly doubt w/e class you took during 1L was so on-point as to real practice as to send off any red flags. If you were somehow taking some super specific statutory or emerging doctrine class during 1L then just follow everyone else here and never bring it up but try to own the mistake w/o sounding too awkward.

Return to “Legal Employment”