Clifford Chance (NY) vs Orrick (NY) vs Jones Day (NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clifford Chance (NY) vs Orrick (NY) vs Jones Day (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:14 am

Feeling very lucky to even have to make this decision but seriously stalled. I'm looking for a very international firm/practice, and CC and JD both give that, but in terms of people, mentorship opportunities and the chance to get to do real substantive work early, and great probono opportunities, Orrick seems to be the place.

Thoughts on whether its still worth starting at CC or JD for their international work/reach? Interested in litigation/FCPA or Corporate/Project Finance work.

Any general senses of the firms also appreciated :)

Anonymous User

Re: Clifford Chance (NY) vs Orrick (NY) vs Jones Day (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Orrick is rumored to be having financial problems, but I think that's irrelevant anyways because it seems like you're looking for something different than what Orrick offers.

Between CC and JD, it's really a tough call. CC is definitely bigger abroad (just in terms of name, it is the cravath of London - that's not to say that JD is bad however). Conversely, JD is bigger domestically and has a domestic brand that CC lacks, outside of NYC.

So, I think it's a wash in terms of "prestige". I would go with (1) the environment you best clicked with (size, people, etc) and (2) the specific opportunities. Do both of these firms do FCPA work in NYC? Do both do project finance in NYC? Are they sizable practices at each?

I think you should do a second look and really get down to the nitty gritty - you will find that one better dovetails with your interests. CC sends all of its summers abroad for 3 weeks. Does that appeal to you? Does JD have that option available for all summers? Maybe you want to work in Thailand eventually and JD has an office there but CC doesn't?

Anyways, good luck with your decision! Definitely put these things under a microscope and then the big picture will become more clear as you pullback a bit, if that makes sense.

Anonymous User

Re: Clifford Chance (NY) vs Orrick (NY) vs Jones Day (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:03 am

Oh i didnt know that about Orrick, its good to think about and if anything just confirms my thought. I think second looks are in order though, and you've definitely given me a sense of what to ask about too. Thanks!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”