Latham (Houston) v. Texas Powerhouses

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Latham (Houston) v. Texas Powerhouses

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any other good exit options besides in house? I never hear anything about it. But everyone can't be okay moving to a job where they will likely take a pay cut, decrease their salary cap, and limit future options... Right?

Moving in-house would be a pay cut.

That seemed to just restate part of the question. I think the question is what are other options, maybe something that is not a pay cut or something that is not in-house in general

You can move to the business side or start on your own.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Bump for 2014. Is it still V&E/Latham vs. everybody else for corporate? How does Kirkland fit into the mix?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for 2014. Is it still V&E/Latham vs. everybody else for corporate? How does Kirkland fit into the mix?

Summered and accepted at one of the listed firms. V&E/Latham are both ahead of the pack in capital markets deals (you can look at Merger Market and other metrics). LW does more underwriter-side work and has been really busy. V&E is a larger group (headcount) and does more deals, including more on issuer-side. Other firms, like Baker Botts and Andrews Kurth are in the next rung down for capital markets.

Kirkland is a PE shop so they have a different focus than VE/LW. 20K bonus for Houston summer associates at K&E is nice though.. More in competition with STB and other PE-focused firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:28 pm

I spent two summers in Houston doing SA positions. Knowing what I know now, if I wanted corporate, I would choose either V&E, BB or AK (unless I didn't care at all about partnership chances).

I think word "on the street" in Houston is that V&E does the biggest/best corporate work - but I think BB, Latham and AK all do about the same level of work in reality. Its hard to say why I wouldn't go to Latham even if I didn't care about partnership...but one thing to think about is this: if you start at BB or VE and hate it, you could call Latham and (probably) get a spot (know someone who did this from a non big 3 last year). I don't know how hard it would be, but I know it happens. I haven't heard it going the other way - hating your firm then moving to BB or VE. Maybe it does, but not to my knowledge.

I will say this, if I was interested in leaving TX at some point, the additional out of state reputation Latham has would be beneficial. There are just so many benefits to being at the HQ or "home" office, I can't see why you wouldn't do that over a satellite

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:28 pm

How about Sidley dallas?

Return to “Legal Employment”