Weird Reponse to a Thank You Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weird Reponse to a Thank You

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Ok maybe weird is not the right word. But it is unique for me this year!

I sent my thank you over a week ago - same day I had the callback. The attorney just wrote me back today and said that "you have a bright future and I hope that you decide to accept with X (his firm) for this summer"

...would not have caught my attention but for the fact that the firm has not yet offered me! So....what do I do? I'm just thinking of ignoring this email but at the same time I am a bit afraid that I may have missed a call or something based on his email.

Anonymous User

Re: Weird Reponse to a Thank You

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok maybe weird is not the right word. But it is unique for me this year!

I sent my thank you over a week ago - same day I had the callback. The attorney just wrote me back today and said that "you have a bright future and I hope that you decide to accept with X (his firm) for this summer"

...would not have caught my attention but for the fact that the firm has not yet offered me! So....what do I do? I'm just thinking of ignoring this email but at the same time I am a bit afraid that I may have missed a call or something based on his email.
My two cents. Either:

A. Respond by thanking him for his email and say something that communicates that you think the firm is a great place/fit/atmosphere and you'd be excited for the opportunity if given an offer. This lets him know you haven't yet received an offer without sounding concerned about the situation.

B. Ignore the email. I doubt you've missed a call/voicemail.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:04 pm

He probably turned in his evaluation of your interview and didn't follow the hiring process that closely past that, so he sent a generic email response that you shouldn't read too much into.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Was it an associate or a partner

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 pm

IAFG wrote:Was it an associate or a partner
OP here: it was a partner

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Ignore. If there's an offer you'll know about it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:50 pm

depending on the firm, he may just assume you have an offer. At certain firms, getting the callback is 99% of the battle, and as long as you're not some weirdo at the cb stage, you're basically in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Fwiw, a partner told me at the end of a CB interview that the firm "seems very interested in you" and that she hopes that I would "come join us for the summer." Got an offer a week later.

I don't tell you this to get your hopes up, but it seems like similar language. Usually you only meet with 2 or 3 partners, and their evaluations have the most clout. At the very least it sounds like you got a strong evaluation ("I'm cool with hiring this person") from that partner. He may not have talked to the other people who interviewed you, but if he did, they must not have had negative things to say.

and to directly answer your question, I would just ignore the email at this point. Some firms seem to have gotten a little behind in the process because of the holiday weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fwiw, a partner told me at the end of a CB interview that the firm "seems very interested in you" and that she hopes that I would "come join us for the summer." Got an offer a week later.
Had a similar experience, except it was the first interview with a partner. She said that she was sure I would get an offer so I should just relax and enjoy the rest of my interviews. I really sucked it up on the rest of the interviews, but I got an offer. Partners have much more sway than associates, so I would say be cautiously optimistic until you get the actual offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I will also cast my vote for cautious optimism with the note that there are lots of stories about people getting highly encouraging comments in interviews and then have the rug pulled out from under them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 pm

IAFG wrote:I will also cast my vote for cautious optimism with the note that there are lots of stories about people getting highly encouraging comments in interviews and then have the rug pulled out from under them.
Agreed. I am the anon who received an offer. Another firm's partner sent me an email a week after the interview stating that he had actually used part of my response to his scenario to advise a client the next day. Two days later I received a rejection letter. Cautiously optimistic is definitely the credited approach.

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:I will also cast my vote for cautious optimism with the note that there are lots of stories about people getting highly encouraging comments in interviews and then have the rug pulled out from under them.
Agreed. I am the anon who received an offer. Another firm's partner sent me an email a week after the interview stating that he had actually used part of my response to his scenario to advise a client the next day. Two days later I received a rejection letter. Cautiously optimistic is definitely the credited approach.
You should send him a bill for services provided.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Agreed. I am the anon who received an offer. Another firm's partner sent me an email a week after the interview stating that he had actually used part of my response to his scenario to advise a client the next day. Two days later I received a rejection letter. Cautiously optimistic is definitely the credited approach.
Dude gave you a legal hypo in an interview? I think you might have dodged a bullet on that one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:54 am

This thread should be titled "Good Response...".

Doubt you missed a call or voicemail. Rather, what probably happened is that you killed your interview with this particular partner (congrats) and he really wants you to get an offer. I have received similar responses to thank you emails from partners this OCI season, and they, too, all came before I heard back from the firm about an offer. Fortunately, the two times this happened to me resulted in an eventual offer, so.... Good luck!!! The partner is definitely pulling for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok maybe weird is not the right word. But it is unique for me this year!

Don't over think it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”