3Ls starting firm jobs fall 2014

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OneMoreLawHopeful

Re: The Anti-Vale: 3Ls with Jobs

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 pm

bk1 wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:1) I don't "struggle" to avoid talking about employment. I don't talk about employment 99.9% of the time, and it's not a struggle. Period.

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I try VERY hard never to talk about post-grad employment at school

I would call having to try very hard "struggling," but sure, semantics.

There are clearly two interpretations of "I try VERY hard never to talk about post-grad employment at school."

Interpretation 1: Employment is not something I particularly want to discuss, but when the subject does come up, I am very careful about how I discuss it because I don't know the position that other people in are.

Interpretation 2: I constantly want to discuss my employment status and have to hold myself back.

You are clearly choosing interpretation 2 over 1, even though I never meant it that way, and it is projection on your part onto me.

Nice try though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 pm

fanlinxun wrote:Neither is waiting for an offer or ding, or figuring out whether to write a thank you note. I have actually never asked a question on TLS, but I don't see why the questions in this thread are any worse than ones in other threads.

They may be equally dumb, but they come from people who are in a position of privilege. Thankyous/offers/dings/etc at least have the excuse of being nervous about securing employment to somewhat justify their questions. That is how they differ.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Nice try though.

You only have to be careful because there is a chance that you might actually slip up. For normal human beings, it's not difficult.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:I thought about responding that I will have started work by that point, but seriously, you've got to be kidding me. If you don't like this thread find one that you don't find offensive.

I was talking about bar prep stuff. If you start in a month, what is there that you urgently need to ask now that you can't figure out for yourself?

See my above post. I actually don't like to ask questions on TLS because I also agree that there are better sources for answers. I just don't understand why the questions here are any worse than other pointless threads.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Just change the damn title. You have every right to talk about your upcoming employment, but the title is so obviously inappropriate in light of the very real struggles the people are enduring in the thread this one references. You really can't possibly be so stupid as to not be aware of that.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 pm

bk1 wrote:
fanlinxun wrote:Neither is waiting for an offer or ding, or figuring out whether to write a thank you note. I have actually never asked a question on TLS, but I don't see why the questions in this thread are any worse than ones in other threads.

They may be equally dumb, but they come from people who are in a position of privilege. Thankyous/offers/dings/etc at least have the excuse of being nervous about securing employment to somewhat justify their questions. That is how they differ.

Who cares what position the posters are in?

If I went into the vale thread and did what you are doing here I am sure you would ban me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:52 pm

RELIC wrote:Who cares what position the posters are in?

If I went into the vale thread and did what you are doing here I am sure you would ban me.

It's called tact and I'm sure I would. I'm trying to explain to people why this thread is douchey (while simultaneously being fairly douchey myself, go figure) to people who seemingly don't understand how this possibly could be in bad taste.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 pm

bk1 wrote:They may be equally dumb, but they come from people who are in a position of privilege. Thankyous/offers/dings/etc at least have the excuse of being nervous about securing employment to somewhat justify their questions. That is how they differ.

I am just going to give up because arguing about who has a privilege and who doesn't sounds like something I would argue about with my brothers and sisters as a ten year old.

pocket herc wrote:Just change the damn title. You have every right to talk about your upcoming employment, but the title is so obviously inappropriate in light of the very real struggles the people are enduring in the thread this one references. You really can't possibly be so stupid as to not be aware of t

What you may or may not realize is that if you guys just stopped asking for a title change the thread probably would have slipped into oblivion already. In case you hadn't noticed it's not really getting much traction for the purpose it was created for.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 pm

pocket herc wrote:Just change the damn title. You have every right to talk about your upcoming employment, but the title is so obviously inappropriate in light of the very real struggles the people are enduring in the thread this one references. You really can't possibly be so stupid as to not be aware of that.

Fair Enough. I changed the title.

I hope that solves things.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 pm

fanlinxun wrote:I am just going to give up because arguing about who has a privilege and who doesn't sounds like something I would argue about with my brothers and sisters as a ten year old.

I'm not saying who has privilege or who doesn't. I'm just saying how they are different. It's why talking about your awesome bonus on fb.com is different than grieving for your dying mother on fb.com.

Pokemon

Re: 3Ls with Jobs (No advice for 1Ls, 2Ls, or unemployed)

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Lol, "or unemployed." I hope BK outs, cautions, and bans all unemployed people who dare post on this prestigious thread.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 pm

bk1 wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Nice try though.

You only have to be careful because there is a chance that you might actually slip up. For normal human beings, it's not difficult.

WTF are you talking about? Do you have any idea how much this sort of shit comes up? From professors that asked everyone to say "what they did this last summer," as part of first-day intros, to stupid 1Ls that want to join the club I'm an officer of asking really dumb shit about my employment status during our recruitment meetings, to alumni at stupid school events that want to know if we all liked "being spoiled as summer associates," employment shit comes up all the time, and I don't want to make others at my school feel out of place. I try to consciously divert the subject, make the 1Ls shut up, etc. But because I'm doing that I'm not a "normal human being"? WTF is wrong with you?

But this isn't a surprise, the stuff about clueless 1Ls and professors doing first day intros was actually brought up IN THE VALE THREAD, and I suspect you are just trolling at this point.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Apparently I've touched a sore spot for you (having a job). I'm gonna back my comments up and merely say that it is not difficult to avoid job stuff even when others bring it up.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 pm

bk1 wrote: I'm not saying who has privilege or who doesn't. I'm just saying how they are different. It's why talking about your awesome bonus on fb.com is different than grieving for your dying mother on fb.com.

It is sad that we live in a society when we can grieve with each other but cannot congratulate each other. You have given the extreme example which is hard to argue with. But I have a good friend who struggled until the end of third year to get a job. His new employer sent him a shoulder bag as a gift and his wife posted it on Facebook. She was probably not thinking about all of her friends whose husbands hadn't found jobs yet. She was just happy and wanted to share. I don't have a single friend on Facebook who I feel uncomfortable telling I have job to, even though I know some of them are unemployed.

Again, I understand the need for tact, but I have also been on the other side of someone being a douche and I got over it. I have more important things to worry about than if someone is being a douche on TLS.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 pm

bk1 wrote:Apparently I've touched a sore spot for you (having a job). I'm gonna back my comments up and merely say that it is not difficult to avoid job stuff even when others bring it up.

Look, all I tried to say before was that I don't think it's hard to avoid even when others bring it up, and as it isn't that hard, I am careful to do so. I don't get why you had to fling insults from that point forward.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 pm

fanlinxun wrote:It is sad that we live in a society when we can grieve with each other but cannot congratulate each other. You have given the extreme example which is hard to argue with. But I have a good friend who struggled until the end of third year to get a job. His new employer sent him a shoulder bag as a gift and his wife posted it on Facebook. She was probably not thinking about all of her friends whose husbands hadn't found jobs yet. She was just happy and wanted to share. I don't have a single friend on Facebook who I feel uncomfortable telling I have job to, even though I know some of them are unemployed.

Again, I understand the need for tact, but I have also been on the other side of someone being a douche and I got over it. I have more important things to worry about than if someone is being a douche on TLS.

That's all fair, though I don't understand the need to share things on fb. I can see both sides of the bolded though I just don't see how this thread is all that useful. People who are going through a tough time can and do benefit from the support of others. People who are going through a great time don't need the help.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:14 pm

bk1 wrote: That's all fair, though I don't understand the need to share things on fb. I can see both sides of the bolded though I just don't see how this thread is all that useful. People who are going through a tough time can and do benefit from the support of others. People who are going through a great time don't need the help.

Point taken. At this point I will just allow for a rare occurrence--a TLS bickering match to end in (or at least close to) an agreement.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:14 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:Look, all I tried to say before was that I don't think it's hard to avoid even when others bring it up, and as it isn't that hard, I am careful to do so. I don't get why you had to fling insults from that point forward.

Your sample questions were awful (the ones about barbri), which was kind of ironic now that I realize you actually posted something useful about barbri on the first page.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:Why do you need to have that conversation at all? It isn't complex stuff to plan/budget for the future.

Why do you need a thread to whine about not having a job? It isn't complex stuff to send off a few resumes a day and make some networking calls.

Seriously, if you want the best advice to find a job, get off TLS and spend the extra time thinking up new strategies. Most of all, don't waste your time in a thread that is going to hurt your self-esteem.

Why is this anon?
Last edited by unc0mm0n1 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I didn't read everything. Is this the no worries thread of not?

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote: Why this anon?

My other big pet peeve on TLS is people getting all uptight about anon use. It was my post. There was absolutely no need for anon, just hit the wrong button out of habit.

Note that unless you are one of the few people on here who know me, adding my name to it does not change the fact that it is anon.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:25 pm

fanlinxun wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote: Why this anon?

My other big pet peeve on TLS is people getting all uptight about anon use. It was my post. There was absolutely no need for anon, just hit the wrong button out of habit.

Note that unless you are one of the few people on here who know me, adding my name to it does not change the fact that it is anon.

Yeah my pet peeve is people who talk critically of others but use the anon feature because they don't want to own it. And now that your name is added to it, I'll remember everytime you post anything that "hey that's that douchebag from the 3L thread" his information is probably garbage.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:27 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Yeah my pet peeve is people who talk critically of others but use the anon feature because they don't want to own it. And now that your name is added to it, I'll remember everytime you post anything that "hey that's that douchebag from the 3L thread."

Like I said, I owned it, but I did not really own it because you have no idea who I am.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 pm

fanlinxun wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:Yeah my pet peeve is people who talk critically of others but use the anon feature because they don't want to own it. And now that your name is added to it, I'll remember everytime you post anything that "hey that's that douchebag from the 3L thread."

Like I said, I owned it, but I did not really own it because you have no idea who I am.

Yes but as I said now when I see your screenname I'll know you're a douchebag.

fanlinxun

Postby fanlinxun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Yes but as I said now when I see your screenname I'll know you're a douchebag.

But sadly you'll probably still read what I wrote.

Return to “Legal Employment”