3Ls starting firm jobs fall 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
skw

Bronze

Re: 3Ls with Jobs (No advice for 1Ls, 2Ls, or unemployed)

Post by skw » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 pm

alkti3 wrote:How much contact do you guys plan to have with your future firm throughout 3L year? Don't want to like randomly pop back up after a prolonged period of no contact, but also don't want to flood them with emails or anything in an effort to keep in touch.
I have had lunch with the primary partner for whom I will work once and we have planned to do so once every 2-3 months until the start date (which seems like forever from now). From discussing this with others, our arrangement of frequent contact is somewhat unique. 3Ls with jobs in other geographic locations typically (from what I hear) are not planning contact until they have questions as start dates approach. Other 3Ls with local positions have, for the most part, not had as pro-contact experiences with their future employers as I have, but the handful of folks who have reached out locally to ask for lunch meetings to catch up have had warm reception and their firms seem amenable to meetings when requested. If you were close with certain associates and/or know the partners you will mostly work for, I see no harm in asking them to an occasional lunch to catch up. I think keeping up a handful of relationships will make the transition easier when it finally gets here.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:58 pm

I think my firm gives a stipend in lieu of reimbursing bar prep fees. As such, I'm considering a non-BARBRI prep course. A few questions related to that:

1) I get half my stipend in April. Based on cursory internet research, BARBRI requires payment in full in early April. Is this how other bar prep companies work as well? Are there any payment plans that are worth it (and not just a glorified high-interest loan)?

2) Are there bar prep program discounts I should keep an eye out for in the coming weeks/months? I know there are a bunch of threads discussing the merits of BARBRI vis-a-vis other prep companies-- I would prefer to not have to worry about that now but will happily do so if there are financial incentives at stake.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Is anyone working part-time at their firm during the year? I'm pretty interested but I don't think my firm does that, sadly :(

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 pm

piccolittle wrote:Is anyone working part-time at their firm during the year? I'm pretty interested but I don't think my firm does that, sadly :(
In theory...but I haven't gotten any assignments yet. Since I'm in a different city, it's been a little tricky getting set up. I really hope I can soon, though. My cross-country move pretty much ate up my summer pay, and a good friend is getting married in Thailand in December, so I could really use cash. :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:48 pm

alkti3 wrote:How much contact do you guys plan to have with your future firm throughout 3L year? Don't want to like randomly pop back up after a prolonged period of no contact, but also don't want to flood them with emails or anything in an effort to keep in touch.
I am making a trip to see everyone in my future practice group in November. They basically insisted I do so. The firm is paying for it but from what I understand most firms do not pay for this type of thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I am making a trip to see everyone in my future practice group in November. They basically insisted I do so. The firm is paying for it but from what I understand most firms do not pay for this type of thing.
i have no interest. at an ny v100 so not sure it really matters. but then again i'm not looking to make partner, either. feel like everyone is busy enough without me pestering them about a "networking opportunity," so don't plan on seeing anyone unless they request it.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:42 pm

RELIC wrote:I have a legit question. For people that are moving to another state for their job. Are you taking your bar prep classes in your current state, the state you will live in when you practice, or some other state (maybe your home state)?

Obviously there might be an advantage to taking in-person prep classes but BarBri's online system looks pretty tempting. What is everyone planning on doing?

I've thought about this a bit. A part of me wants to take the class in the city where I'll be working so I can meet people, but another part wants to just stay where I'm at with friends and not pay double rent.

Leaning more towards the latter.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:46 pm

FWIW, I'm not sure anyone makes the best first social impression during a bar class anyway. :)

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:48 pm

alicrimson wrote:
RELIC wrote:I have a legit question. For people that are moving to another state for their job. Are you taking your bar prep classes in your current state, the state you will live in when you practice, or some other state (maybe your home state)?

Obviously there might be an advantage to taking in-person prep classes but BarBri's online system looks pretty tempting. What is everyone planning on doing?

I've thought about this a bit. A part of me wants to take the class in the city where I'll be working so I can meet people, but another part wants to just stay where I'm at with friends and not pay double rent.

I'm thinking about this as well. Is there a significant difference between the online classes and the in person classes as far as outcomes go? Does barbri keep stats on first time bar passage rates separated by class type?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:55 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

I'm thinking about this as well. Is there a significant difference between the online classes and the in person classes as far as outcomes go? Does barbri keep stats on first time bar passage rates separated by class type?
I think it depends on you. Are you the kind of person who will be fine self motivating and doing things on your own or do you want the extra push of doing it in person? Are you okay being alone for days on end or do you want to be around people each day? Then choose accordingly.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm

bk1 wrote:I think it depends on you. Are you the kind of person who will be fine self motivating and doing things on your own or do you want the extra push of doing it in person? Are you okay being alone for days on end or do you want to be around people each day? Then choose accordingly.
This is definitely true, but it might also be worth contacting Barbri (or Kaplan, or whomever) and finding out how many classes are actually "in person." Barbri is notorious for advertising "in person" but what you get for many of the sessions is just a lecture room where they just play the online video for everyone. You'll still get some live lecturers, but the benefits of studying in a classroom go way down if you're just getting the same video you could get on the internet.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:25 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:This is definitely true, but it might also be worth contacting Barbri (or Kaplan, or whomever) and finding out how many classes are actually "in person." Barbri is notorious for advertising "in person" but what you get for many of the sessions is just a lecture room where they just play the online video for everyone. You'll still get some live lecturers, but the benefits of studying in a classroom go way down if you're just getting the same video you could get on the internet.
That's something to watch out for, though I think even if the company is just playing videos in a classroom that can still help someone who wants the things I mentioned above (external motivation, being around people).

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 pm

I know I'm necro-ing a super old thread, but I feel like this might be the time we have more questions etc. as we come up to bar study and start dates. I know I probably shouldn't admit this, but I don't think I can afford to support myself until my advance kicks in (and I have no idea when that will be, as the firm hasn't contacted me except to ask for start date preferences). What is the advisability of taking out a bar loan or smallish bank loan to tide me over until then? Anyone else thinking of doing something similar? Worried about the impact on my credit (assuming I can get a loan at all), in case the firm/landlords want credit checks.

(Also, I would like to put in a request to change the thread title to something less douchey, if at all possible.) Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3Ls starting firm jobs fall 2014

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:21 am

If you literally won't have any money to pay your bills, what other choice do you have?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:27 am

If anyone is getting a stipend for bar prep courses, i.e. you keep whatever you don't spend, I recommend THEMIS. BARBRI is super over priced and not worth it. If it is the firm's money, sure go to BARBRI, but it is not worth $3k.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 pm

[*]Anyone starting "full time" before the bar? I start two weeks after graduation, and, honestly, I'm a bit worried about having time to give sufficient attention to associate duties and bar prep duties. My offer is not expressly contingent on passing the bar, but I can read between the lines, too.

Or, are most bar exams (other than California) an exercise in endurance rather than intellect, and 2-3 hours of disciplined studying per night will suffice to pass?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:[*]Anyone starting "full time" before the bar? I start two weeks after graduation, and, honestly, I'm a bit worried about having time to give sufficient attention to associate duties and bar prep duties. My offer is not expressly contingent on passing the bar, but I can read between the lines, too.

Or, are most bar exams (other than California) an exercise in endurance rather than intellect, and 2-3 hours of disciplined studying per night will suffice to pass?
I was considering starting early, but I think it's too late for me to ask now. Are you going to try to do a bar trip?

Are you doing a bar prep course? You should be fine listening to the lectures after work during June, then spending 3-4 hours per day in July cramming everything. I guess the key would be studying smart rather than hard, and making the best use of the time you have. JMO.

In other news, is anyone still waiting for a start date? I feel crazy trying to plan while not having any idea when I'm supposed to start. My firm is notorious for pushing back people's start dates as far as they can, so I have a bad feeling I won't be starting until November.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 pm

I still have no start date. My firm has told us about moving expenses, bar and related prep expenses, and salary advances, but that's it so far. I'm really anxious to book a bar trip, but I'm holding off until they announce.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still have no start date. My firm has told us about moving expenses, bar and related prep expenses, and salary advances, but that's it so far. I'm really anxious to book a bar trip, but I'm holding off until they announce.
I think at least a few of us are in this boat. See this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=223054. I also know a few people at school at NY Vault firms who don't have start dates, so it doesn't seem that unusual, although it seems like a lot of the V10/V20 have heard already. I haven't heard about an advance yet either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:[*]Anyone starting "full time" before the bar? I start two weeks after graduation, and, honestly, I'm a bit worried about having time to give sufficient attention to associate duties and bar prep duties. My offer is not expressly contingent on passing the bar, but I can read between the lines, too.

I was considering starting early, but I think it's too late for me to ask now. Are you going to try to do a bar trip?

Are you doing a bar prep course? You should be fine listening to the lectures after work during June, then spending 3-4 hours per day in July cramming everything. I guess the key would be studying smart rather than hard, and making the best use of the time you have. JMO.

In other news, is anyone still waiting for a start date? I feel crazy trying to plan while not having any idea when I'm supposed to start. My firm is notorious for pushing back people's start dates as far as they can, so I have a bad feeling I won't be starting until November.
I'm not planning to take a bar trip -- I'm old anyway. We will push for an Xmas trip instead.

Your advice is sound, though. I'll have to brute force my bar studying through targeted work rather than compulsive overdoing like was my M.O. in law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

I'm not planning to take a bar trip -- I'm old anyway. We will push for an Xmas trip instead.

Your advice is sound, though. I'll have to brute force my bar studying through targeted work rather than compulsive overdoing like was my M.O. in law school.
I'm working part time while studying for the bar and will go full time immediately thereafter, but I'm getting paralegal pay during that time. As soon as I get bar clearance I get associate pay.

I'm also working in a small firm (10 attorney's) so my situation is probably a bit different.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Have any NYC firms sent out/offered salary advances yet? What's the usual timing on that? Searched past threads, can't find many answers.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sat May 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any NYC firms sent out/offered salary advances yet? What's the usual timing on that? Searched past threads, can't find many answers.
This varies based on firm, and you should ask your recruiting contact. But, yes, I believe that most firms that offer salary advances will either have had them available by now or will make them available as soon as you send them a receipt for a bar prep program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 03, 2014 8:25 pm

aces wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any NYC firms sent out/offered salary advances yet? What's the usual timing on that? Searched past threads, can't find many answers.
This varies based on firm, and you should ask your recruiting contact. But, yes, I believe that most firms that offer salary advances will either have had them available by now or will make them available as soon as you send them a receipt for a bar prep program.
My firm has yet to tell us start dates or send any paperwork for the advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 5:19 pm

aces wrote:
Quoted anon. They've paid for the bar program, but haven't heard on a separate advance (which I believe they do provide).

I've noticed from looking at past threads that some firms (Ropes? Not my firm so not sure) seem to take until late June to send start dates, so hopefully we'll hear back by then at least.

Edit: On a separate but related note, does anyone know roughly how much NYC landlords want to see you have in your bank account before you move in (presuming good credit and a BigLaw employment letter)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”