Firm changing mind on no-offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm changing mind on no-offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Does anyone know anyone whose firm initially no-offered them, and then changed their minds on the matter a few weeks later?

thesealocust

Re: Firm changing mind on no-offer?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Actually, kind of sort-of. Why do you ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:07 pm

yes

Agent

Postby Agent » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Never heard of a large firm doing this. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with a small firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Someone poasted a story about it on TLS

But other than that I've never heard of it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:37 pm

OP here.

I was a 1L SA this past summer with a firm.

I rotated through three practice groups. I received very strong reviews throughout my first rotation, and my third rotation.

But I ran into some roadblocks during my second rotation. There were 3 projects that I turned in that did not meet the exact expectations of the assigning attorney.

Despite giving a good-faith effort on the projects, turning them in on time, and ensuring they were all free of typos/grammar mistakes, the assigning attorneys said the product fell outside their expectations.

There were no issues with my attitude. Every single attorney said I was great to work with, and loved my attitude and willingness to learn and develop.

Yet, the hiring committee did not extend me a return offer, mainly due to the 3 bad reviews. I completed about 12 projects. With 9 great reviews, and 3 bad ones.

This could just be the anxiety talking, but a part of me would really like to rejoin the firm. I have not received any callbacks through the OCI process, and I am slowly becoming more and more concerned about my future.

I was just hoping someone knew of a firm changing their mind about a no-offer. Either for a 1L SA returning to the firm, or giving a 2L SA a full-time offer.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Under those circumstances I doubt it. The only times I've heard of it were when the stated reasons had to do with the firm's needs for attorneys, and often needs for attorneys in different regions/offices.

I'd be shocked if a firm no-offered you for performance reasons and then changed its mind. It might not be fair or just, but I'd say that ship has sailed.

Return to “Legal Employment”