New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Big Shrimpin

Re: New associate banter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:12 am

Luxury apartment buildings in MFH are fucking flame.

I live in a huge 1br in the WV with roommate and pay reasonable rent. You just have to not be retarded when you're looking to rent because there's a ton of junk out there and an endless army of good salesmen.

I will probably never buy here, though, because law will never make me that rich.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:22 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Luxury apartment buildings in MFH are fucking flame.

I live in a huge 1br in the WV with roommate and pay reasonable rent. You just have to not be retarded when you're looking to rent because there's a ton of junk out there and an endless army of good salesmen.

I will probably never buy here, though, because law will never make me that rich.

And because it's also a shitty market to buy in.

Edit: Manhattan that is. The overall if you can score a good interest rate, market is quite good.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Appreciate all the responses bros

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Amity wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting as a first year associate in NY. Am I crazy for thinking about a $2,400 apartment by myself? (no debt)

I have a friend who decided it would be a good idea to spend $4,500 for an apartment in NYC as a first-year associate. THAT was crazy. What you want to do seems extremely reasonable, and even a little bit cheap.

Looking at those prices, I will never understand why anyone would want to put themselves through the NYC experience. $3K for a semi-nice studio, seriously? You do know that for $3K you can own a really nice [$600K] house and buy a Mercedes for what it costs for a zip car rental. Honestly what is the draw of NYC (other than to visit as a tourist)? NYC income is only marginally higher than what firms pay in the top 20-50 sized markets. What am I missing here?

First, you can do a lot better than 3k. The best I've seen for a studio I'd consider nice is around 2100.

Second, once you get past rent, New York isn't all that expensive: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magaz ... wanted=all
The Mercedes you mentioned isn't necessary in NYC. That is, no $500+ car payment and no $400 for gas and insurance. Just that saves you around $1000 before we even get to maintenance. You'll have to pay for the subway here, but you'll do it with pretax dollars unlike with your Mercedes. The budget for lawn care/household maintenance/homeowner's insurance/etc. is 0. Plus living in New York allows you to stop spending time on life's little annoyances that are inescapable elsewhere. You can cut your commute time to 5-10 minutes pretty easily. You don't have to shop for groceries here. Everything can just shows up at your door via Amazon or Fresh Direct. You'll never have to wait for a package again. You can drop your drycleaning off downstairs and it shows up done a day or two later. Almost all restaurants deliver. Taking out the trash consists of walking down the hall and dropping it down a chute. You can be at the gym in 30 seconds because it's in the building. If you add it all up, NYC's more than competitive with the rest of the country before we even talk about the actual reasons people live here.

skers

Postby skers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:33 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Amity wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting as a first year associate in NY. Am I crazy for thinking about a $2,400 apartment by myself? (no debt)

I have a friend who decided it would be a good idea to spend $4,500 for an apartment in NYC as a first-year associate. THAT was crazy. What you want to do seems extremely reasonable, and even a little bit cheap.

Looking at those prices, I will never understand why anyone would want to put themselves through the NYC experience. $3K for a semi-nice studio, seriously? You do know that for $3K you can own a really nice [$600K] house and buy a Mercedes for what it costs for a zip car rental. Honestly what is the draw of NYC (other than to visit as a tourist)? NYC income is only marginally higher than what firms pay in the top 20-50 sized markets. What am I missing here?

First, you can do a lot better than 3k. The best I've seen for a studio I'd consider nice is around 2100.

Second, once you get past rent, New York isn't all that expensive: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magaz ... wanted=all
The Mercedes you mentioned isn't necessary in NYC. That is, no $500+ car payment and no $400 for gas and insurance. Just that saves you around $1000 before we even get to maintenance. You'll have to pay for the subway here, but you'll do it with pretax dollars unlike with your Mercedes. The budget for lawn care/household maintenance/homeowner's insurance/etc. is 0. Plus living in New York allows you to stop spending time on life's little annoyances that are inescapable elsewhere. You can cut your commute time to 5-10 minutes pretty easily. You don't have to shop for groceries here. Everything can just shows up at your door via Amazon or Fresh Direct. You'll never have to wait for a package again. You can drop your drycleaning off downstairs and it shows up done a day or two later. Almost all restaurants deliver. Taking out the trash consists of walking down the hall and dropping it down a chute. You can be at the gym in 30 seconds because it's in the building. If you add it all up, NYC's more than competitive with the rest of the country before we even talk about the actual reasons people live here.

Other big cities offer these amenities for a lower price without having to live in a closet while sniffing your own farts.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Amity wrote:

Other big cities offer these amenities for a lower price without having to live in a closet while sniffing your own farts.

None that I'm aware of offer everything I just mentioned. Even those that have some of them aren't as competitive price-wise as you apparently think.

skers

Postby skers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:45 pm

quakeroats wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
quakeroats wrote:First, you can do a lot better than 3k. The best I've seen for a studio I'd consider nice is around 2100.

None that I'm aware of offer everything I just mentioned. Even those that have some of them aren't as competitive price-wise as you apparently think.

LOL, come to New York! The only place in America with grocery delivery and trash chutes, apparently.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:55 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
quakeroats wrote:First, you can do a lot better than 3k. The best I've seen for a studio I'd consider nice is around 2100.

LOL, come to New York! The only place in America with grocery delivery and trash chutes, apparently.

I guess the word everything means something different to you.

skers

Postby skers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:05 pm

quakeroats wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

I just don't think any of the things you are mentioning are really that novel at all in a large metro area. The only real difference would be commute time, but that's more a function of where you live than anything else in any other market. You pretty much completely missed the point of the article in that it compares ARE CUNTRY with New York and finds different standards of living, whereas that's not really going to be true in any of the markets people are talking about here. The only real comparison it makes to other big metro areas is rent relative to salary, which doesn't work in the context of biglaw.

It comes down to what people have said repeatedly. There are reasons to live in New York and it comes down to the individual to determine if the additional cost is worth it.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:13 pm

MFH is a cutthroat shithole of a city, but living here is just so much fucking fun.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:22 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

I just don't think any of the things you are mentioning are really that novel at all in a large metro area. The only real difference would be commute time, but that's more a function of where you live than anything else in any other market. You pretty much completely missed the point of the article in that it compares ARE CUNTRY with New York and finds different standards of living, whereas that's not really going to be true in any of the markets people are talking about here. The only real comparison it makes to other big metro areas is rent relative to salary, which doesn't work in the context of biglaw.

It comes down to what people have said repeatedly. There are reasons to live in New York and it comes down to the individual to determine if the additional cost is worth it.

Uh, nope. For one big example see the Mercedes point earlier. There's really no other city in the country where you can skip the car without a good deal of pain. You're sure as hell not going to do it in a major legal market like DC, LA, or Chicago either.

skers

Postby skers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

The MTA is pretty great, but you can absolutely do carless in Chicago, SF, or DC without that much effort.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:14 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:The MTA is pretty great, but you can absolutely do carless in Chicago, SF, or DC without that much effort.

This is true for DC, but beware of the metro on the weekends. And at night. Or any time other than rush hour.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:The MTA is pretty great, but you can absolutely do carless in Chicago, SF, or DC without that much effort.

This is true for DC, but beware of the metro on the weekends. And at night. Or any time other than rush hour.

Seriously. And we bitch about the 2nd Avenue line not being a thing yet. Even in SF, the second most walkable city in the US, they built the BART through the middle of town and called it a day.

ragelion

Postby ragelion » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:MFH is a cutthroat shithole of a city, but living here is just so much fucking fun.

It's grown on me. I still don't want to be here forever.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:30 pm

ragelion wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:MFH is a cutthroat shithole of a city, but living here is just so much fucking fun.

Why's that?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:If you fuckers turn this into another one of those "NY is awesome!" "NY is expensive!" "NY is not that expensive!" "I have tons of fun shit out in CA/TX/DC/etc." threads I'm gonna find each and every one of you and shit on your faces

I'm cool with this as long as it's a solid, fibrous shit.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:12 am

What did Greg Palm do before he became GC at Goldman in 1992? (sorry I know this is a random question but read a hilarious article involving him on ATL this morning).

On a side note, who fucking knew I would be doing a lot of IP shit when that was the worst class in my law school career. Fuck trademarks.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Finished a memo from hell. Personal failure on my part with regard to how long it took, even though the assigned associate told me it would take a very long time to figure everything out. I think I put more pressure on myself than my higher ups. On to the next project, which isn't from hell thank goodness.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 pm

quakeroats wrote:
ragelion wrote:

Why's that?

:roll:

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 am

Hitting a lull this week at work. Using the free time to read up on the recent changes spurred by the JOBS Act.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:55 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:

x2.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:57 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

x2.

And rush hour means til seven. Kinda ttt

Postby 20160810 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:07 am

quakeroats wrote:
Amity wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

I've lived in the SF area (which is at worst about 3/4 as bad as NYC) and in much cheaper cities, and there's a huge difference. It's not just rent - literally everything costs a ton more in NYC. A sandwich that's $6 here is $13 there, and on and on.

Obviously there are a bunch of great reasons to live in NYC, especially if you're in law (moar jobs). But if you're strictly talking about money, NYC blows. Market salary in my city is a good deal less than NYC, and I still have more disposable income than I would making $160 there. Plus a bad month for me is 200 hours, not 300.

Return to “Legal Employment”