New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Re: New associate banter

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:34 pm

How are you making sure that you're producing product that you feel confident sending to someone who actually knows the relevant area?

Expectations are extremely low when you start. The bar slowly rises year after year, and the day you're unable to exceed them consistently is the day you're pushed out. Success in biglaw is a lot about being ahead of the curve, which is very easy to to as a junior and much more difficult as a fifth year.

That's why it's actually conducive to your reputation to be working hard as a first year. The idea is that even though you don't know much, at least you have the right attitude and are willing to put in the time. That's the only real way you can set yourself apart in the beginning.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:24 pm

rad lulz wrote:
SBL wrote:Having a password protected phone is really annoying.

Yeah I hate that shit dood

Really pisses me off

They givin you a phone stipend bro?

Theoretically they're just going to pay my cell phone bill but I have to call Verizon and authorize an outside payer which sounds like a hassle so I haven't done it yet.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Don't sacrifice credit card points. Give the phone bills to your secretary for reimbursement.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Don't sacrifice credit card points. Give the phone bills to your secretary for reimbursement.

Oh shit this is a good call

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:51 pm

SBL wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Don't sacrifice credit card points. Give the phone bills to your secretary for reimbursement.

For seamless meals, I just order delivery to my office and have it charged to my credit card. They are then reimbursed manually. That shit adds up.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:Biz caz is the best

I need more slacks though

+ 1. Had to buy 4 pairs of slacks today, but I'll take that over buying 4 new suits any day.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
How are you making sure that you're producing product that you feel confident sending to someone who actually knows the relevant area?

Expectations are extremely low when you start. The bar slowly rises year after year, and the day you're unable to exceed them consistently is the day you're pushed out. Success in biglaw is a lot about being ahead of the curve, which is very easy to to as a junior and much more difficult as a fifth year.

That's why it's actually conducive to your reputation to be working hard as a first year. The idea is that even though you don't know much, at least you have the right attitude and are willing to put in the time. That's the only real way you can set yourself apart in the beginning.

Very helpful, thanks.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:12 am

You can get around the forced password on Android by using a 3rd party email client (e.g. Maildroid) but it's probably against your firm's policy's to not have the phone password protected (arguably it's also just a bad idea generally considering the data that is on your phone).

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:13 am

bk1 wrote:

You can get around the forced password on Android by using a 3rd party email client (e.g. Maildroid) but it's probably against your firm's policy's to not have the phone password protected (arguably it's also just a bad idea generally considering the data that is on your phone).

Yeah I understand why it's necessary but I hate it

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:15 am

rad lulz wrote:Yeah I understand why it's necessary but I hate it

No doubt about that.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:47 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I know people who had one or more 300 hour months earlier this year in securities / capital markets; apparently it was out of control busy for a while and the hours came from being stationed at financial printers, etc. (I was busy too, but happily not that busy...)

Yeah, but it makes sense for your firm. FOTE doesn't work where you work.

I'm curious as to how you think you know where I work.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:59 am

How many of you are currently at work?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
SBL wrote:

For seamless meals, I just order delivery to my office and have it charged to my credit card. They are then reimbursed manually. That shit adds up.

We don't get take out reimbursed but I wish we did.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I know people who had one or more 300 hour months earlier this year in securities / capital markets; apparently it was out of control busy for a while and the hours came from being stationed at financial printers, etc. (I was busy too, but happily not that busy...)

Keep staying curious bro.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:31 pm

SBL wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
SBL wrote:

I'm not saying cheat the system. You should steal eat the meal at office (not have it delivered and then take it home). But I am saying that you shouldn't order through seamless... unless the firm doesn't let you order these meals unless through seamless? I've heard of that at some places.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your schtick, but it's coming across as rather condescending. You seem to be quite off on your prediction as to where I work, and my hitting 300/hours per month on particularly busy months is hardly out of the norm for my firm.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm not sure I understand your schtick, but it's coming across as rather condescending. You seem to be quite off on your prediction as to where I work, and my hitting 300/hours per month on particularly busy months is hardly out of the norm for my firm.

You seem to be quite blah blah blah... let's get down to brass tacks.

I thought you were deciding between two firms (one of which I definitely know you aren't working at), and by process of deduction thought you chose the other firm and could never imagine someone billing 300/month at that other firm. On the other hand, entirely possible you ended up getting another 2L offer, got an offer as a 3L, or something like that. If that's the case, my bad. But if you are working at first firm, would be (and am shocked) that you'd be billing 300/month, as the people I know at that firm are struggling to beat 1800/year.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

I thought you were deciding between two firms (one of which I definitely know you aren't working at), and by process of deduction thought you chose the other firm and could never imagine someone billing 300/month at that other firm. On the other hand, entirely possible you ended up getting another 2L offer, got an offer as a 3L, or something like that. If that's the case, my bad. But if you are working at first firm, would be (and am shocked) that you'd be billing 300/month, as the people I know at that firm are struggling to beat 1800/year.

No worries - I generally haven't provided specifics about my career trajectory for several years (which is why I was a little creeped out that somehow you thought you knew anything about that), but I'm at a rather busy V10.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
SBL wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:For seamless meals, I just order delivery to my office and have it charged to my credit card. They are then reimbursed manually. That shit adds up.

I'm not saying cheat the system. You should steal eat the meal at office (not have it delivered and then take it home). But I am saying that you shouldn't order through seamless... unless the firm doesn't let you order these meals unless through seamless? I've heard of that at some places.

I think he's saying his firm doesn't pay for meals. Mine doesn't either. Mostly because it's rare to stay at the office after 7 or 8. So all this about seamless and takeout just goes whoosh for a lof of us.

There is life outside of NYC biglaw. Shocking, I know.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
SBL wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:For seamless meals, I just order delivery to my office and have it charged to my credit card. They are then reimbursed manually. That shit adds up.

I think he's saying his firm doesn't pay for meals. Mine doesn't either. Mostly because it's rare to stay at the office after 7 or 8. So all this about seamless and takeout just goes whoosh for a lof of us.

:roll: people eating seamless and getting reimbursed is common in biglaw in primary markets. No need to be a little shit about it.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:27 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

No worries - I generally haven't provided specifics about my career trajectory for several years (which is why I was a little creeped out that somehow you thought you knew anything about that), but I'm at a rather busy V10.

Got it. Makes sense. I'll drop the questioning.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
SBL wrote:

Yeah it's not a thing in my market either

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 pm

I was being a little shit? Uhh wat

I just find it odd that you assume everyone in here is in NYC biglaw. No need to get hostile duder.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:I was being a little shit? Uhh wat

I just find it odd that you assume everyone in here is in NYC biglaw. No need to get hostile duder.

Not assuming that at all. I am assuming most here are working in biglaw, though.

chup

Postby chup » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:

Stop being creepy, dipshit.

Return to “Legal Employment”