New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 pm

thesealocust wrote:Pro-tip: Feelings can't swim in whiskey.


Not an Irishman I see. Feelings can only swim in whiskey for us.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:Hit my goal of billing ~200 hours for my first full month, feels good... an emptyish good, but good.


Welcome to the big leagues.

Wait until you bill your first ~300 month.

You'll be changing your tune REAL fast.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Pro-tip: Feelings can't swim in whiskey.


Not an Irishman I see. Feelings can only swim in whiskey for us.


I'm actually more Irish than anything else, I just can't be arsed to ever keep the various spellings straight.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Hit my goal of billing ~200 hours for my first full month, feels good... an emptyish good, but good.


Welcome to the big leagues.

Wait until you bill your first ~300 month.

You'll be changing your tune REAL fast.


I don't know if I want to know what that's like.... :?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:45 pm

Billed 450 one month. It sucked.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:09 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Hit my goal of billing ~200 hours for my first full month, feels good... an emptyish good, but good.


Welcome to the big leagues.

Wait until you bill your first ~300 month.

You'll be changing your tune REAL fast.


Just almost did hit 300 - totally doable, so long as you don't mind part of your life falling apart. Not like, irreparably fall apart, but things certainly go on hold and get prioritized. However, now I know that doing the basic bonus hours isn't terrible, just kinda inconvenient.

I have no idea how people do this with a family is beyond me. I guess a great home office and ability to split your attention?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:11 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Billed 450 one month. It sucked.


I'd have to set-up a cot and live in the office, no other way I can even imagine it.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:12 am

romothesavior wrote:Young associates spend 90%+ of their day in their office doing stuff by themselves. That's too much social interaction for some people?


I look forward to phone calls now.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Is it crazy to be shy about taking advantage of Seamless, cars home, etc.? Been working enough to qualify, but feel like the stuff I'm doing isn't important or complicated enough yet to justify it and I'm just being inefficient. And I don't want to call attention to it.

I guess I'm still not used to the notion that these firms really don't bat an eye about picking up $50-60 tabs (between food and cab fare) on a regular basis for people just staying late. It will probably fade with time.


Seamless, cars, etc. are psychological warfare the firm is waging with you. It's designed to make you say "fuck it" and work an extra hour or two or four.

Pro-tip: If your dinner + car cost the firm $100, that means you have to bill roughly 15-20 extra minutes to cover it and any time after is revenue. Stop thinking like a normal human being and start thinking like a corporate law firm gunning for 7-figure revenue per lawyer.

Thanks, I feel both better and worse, a sensation that seems common to the process of learning more about working in a law firm.

Another way to help you feel better about it if you're feeling guilty about the expense (even if you know you shouldn't) is that you are probably much more productive working in the office with all its resources. I would say I'm legitimately 50% more efficient when I have the full computing/dual-monitor/printing power of my office at my disposal. If you can do a job in 2 hours of staying late that might require 3 at home, you just saved your client $400 and they should be grateful for your $25 seamless dinner and $30 car ride home.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:59 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Billed 450 one month. It sucked.


Just, wow. I thought 300 was brutal.

I didn't understand attrition until I had a few 300ish months in a row.

People I know are starting to leave for greener pastures (not yet at my firm but I know of others).

User avatar
ragelion
Posts: 2302
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:14 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby ragelion » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 am

thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Is it crazy to be shy about taking advantage of Seamless, cars home, etc.? Been working enough to qualify, but feel like the stuff I'm doing isn't important or complicated enough yet to justify it and I'm just being inefficient. And I don't want to call attention to it.

I guess I'm still not used to the notion that these firms really don't bat an eye about picking up $50-60 tabs (between food and cab fare) on a regular basis for people just staying late. It will probably fade with time.


Seamless, cars, etc. are psychological warfare the firm is waging with you. It's designed to make you say "fuck it" and work an extra hour or two or four.

Pro-tip: If your dinner + car cost the firm $100, that means you have to bill roughly 15-20 extra minutes to cover it and any time after is revenue. Stop thinking like a normal human being and start thinking like a corporate law firm gunning for 7-figure revenue per lawyer.

I walk over on weekends to put in a few hours because I'm too cheap to pass up 90 dollars of free food.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:43 pm

This may seem stupid, but what do people do on thos days where there is nothing to do? Do people just screw around on the net or try to do productive things (ie learn stuff)?

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:48 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:This may seem stupid, but what do people do on thos days where there is nothing to do? Do people just screw around on the net or try to do productive things (ie learn stuff)?


I read practice-related materials (i.e., PLI, books, etc.), take care of pro bono work and clean up odds and ends.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Stare at my phone and outlook inbox while nervously twitching and chain smoking.

Alternatively, read relevant news/blogs (has been incredibly useful more than once), pro bono (try to find something that fits with whatever time commitments your private practice entails), life maintenance (if your usually busy nobody is going to bust your balls over taking care of your life when you aren't), non-urgent work (things you know are coming and can prepare for), and the most important: actively avoiding work / eye contact with people who can give you work.

User avatar
mr. wednesday
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby mr. wednesday » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:This may seem stupid, but what do people do on thos days where there is nothing to do? Do people just screw around on the net or try to do productive things (ie learn stuff)?

Lately I've been shopping online for things for my office. I'm almost completely done decorating at this point, and I have to say it is getting quite comfortable to be here. I also shop online for work clothes, or review training materials that my department sends to our management officials to see what advice we're giving them. And there is always random walks to Starbucks or other nearby shops.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:12 pm

thesealocust wrote:Alternatively, read relevant news/blogs (has been incredibly useful more than once)
TSL, what does your down-time reading list usually look like?

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby seespotrun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Billed 450 one month. It sucked.

How?

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Gorki » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Billed 450 one month. It sucked.

How?


15 hour days, obv.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:03 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Alternatively, read relevant news/blogs (has been incredibly useful more than once)
TSL, what does your down-time reading list usually look like?


Dealbreaker, TLS, WSJ, NYT dealbook, dealbreaker. I really like dealbreaker. On exceptionally slow days I'll pinch my nose and look at ATL. Sometimes see what the gold/Ron Paul '08/libertarian/bitcoin crew are up to, because it's so amusingly not what I'm up to.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:46 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Billed 450 one month. It sucked.

How?


I was kinda wondering this too. Unless I was block billing, I don't think I could physically do this.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:Billed 450 one month. It sucked.

How?


I was kinda wondering this too. Unless I was block billing, I don't think I could physically do this.


Anything I've heard over 300 has generally involved assignments that make huge swaths of time billable, like staying at the printers or going to a company for on-site diligence or something. Never heard of over 400 though...

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Specifics could out me. I know other associates who've done just as much, though.

It was partly my fault. I took on too many deals (had around seven going at the same time). But most of them weren't actively moving along, so it was just one of the deals that completely destroyed me.

In retrospect, it was one of my favorite deals. Highly sophisticated client that made my life extremely easy, very commercial counterparties that wanted to GIT ER' DONE, legendary partners I got to work with and learn from, also the opportunity to talk to some very, very famous billionaires.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby thesealocust » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:53 pm

^ you like what you do.

You're doomed.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: New associate banter

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Specifics could out me. I know other associates who've done just as much, though.

It was partly my fault. I took on too many deals (had around seven going at the same time). But most of them weren't actively moving along, so it was just one of the deals that completely destroyed me.

In retrospect, it was one of my favorite deals. Highly sophisticated client that made my life extremely easy, very commercial counterparties that wanted to GIT ER' DONE, legendary partners I got to work with and learn from, also the opportunity to talk to some very, very famous billionaires.


Rad, breh.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: New associate banter

Postby seespotrun » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:Specifics could out me. I know other associates who've done just as much, though.

It was partly my fault. I took on too many deals (had around seven going at the same time). But most of them weren't actively moving along, so it was just one of the deals that completely destroyed me.

In retrospect, it was one of my favorite deals. Highly sophisticated client that made my life extremely easy, very commercial counterparties that wanted to GIT ER' DONE, legendary partners I got to work with and learn from, also the opportunity to talk to some very, very famous billionaires.

I'm with BigShrimpin. I don't know how you physically were able to do this. I've billed over 300 the past two months and it's been backbreaking. In fact, any month I've billed over 250 has been balls.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.