New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: New associate banter

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 am

Feeling blah. I work in a boutique niche firm, making close to market, but really cant stand the practice area - its not what i wanted to do just fell into it when i missed the biglaw boat. Find myself looking online already. Its such a niche area that i feel i will be stuck in it forever. :/

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are all you happy people generally? I'm having difficulty faking interest in talking to all these people who come by my office. I'm usually quite social, but I don't feel I have anything in common with the people at my firm and this "fake it till you make it" is starting to tax me mentally. How do you guys interact with so many people on a daily basis? I realize this makes me sound aspie, but I don't care.

I'm not a spurger and I like the people I work for, so interacting with them is fine.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are all you happy people generally? I'm having difficulty faking interest in talking to all these people who come by my office. I'm usually quite social, but I don't feel I have anything in common with the people at my firm and this "fake it till you make it" is starting to tax me mentally. How do you guys interact with so many people on a daily basis? I realize this makes me sound aspie, but I don't care.

Just remember - they feel the same way about you. You're all stuck there, so just make the best of it. I'm not a naturally outgoing guy, but I've made myself become one over time for the simple reason that it is easier to disengage a conversation when you started it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Young associates spend 90%+ of their day in their office doing stuff by themselves. That's too much social interaction for some people?

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Did any of y'all make some sort of excel spreadsheet or something to keep track of projects? If so, willing to share for a sample format, etc. ? :)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm

phonepro wrote:Did any of y'all make some sort of excel spreadsheet or something to keep track of projects? If so, willing to share for a sample format, etc. ? :)

Yeah

Column for due date, column for what the project is, column for who it's for

I'm not "on" a lot of cases so this works for me

If I'm "on" a case rather than having just discrete projects for something, I'll just put the matter name as a place holder

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:Young associates spend 90%+ of their day in their office doing stuff by themselves. That's too much social interaction for some people?

This never ceases to amaze me. I crave human interaction all day. Eating lunch by myself makes me want to /self.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:15 pm

god damn it. every time a state releases their bar results I get a panic attack. can't concentrate at work right now.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Just got an e-mail from my CDO that said "I heard you got a job". How the hell did my CDO know? Then I had to fill out the NALP survey, so I guess i'm helping the stats.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:53 pm

This is prob a stupid question, but as a new associate, are we supposed to taken on assignments from more senior associates...maybe associates who have been at the firm for 3-4 years. Or does that set a bad precedent of inferiority and subordination?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:55 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:This is prob a stupid question, but as a new associate, are we supposed to taken on assignments from more senior associates...maybe associates who have been at the firm for 3-4 years. Or does that set a bad precedent of inferiority and subordination?

There is no bad source of billables, IMO.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Young associates spend 90%+ of their day in their office doing stuff by themselves. That's too much social interaction for some people?

This never ceases to amaze me. I crave human interaction all day. Eating lunch by myself makes me want to /self.

I think if you're in a new job and it's a big place and you spend the first few days getting introduced to new people all the time and you don't know anyone well enough to have normal conversations and you don't really know what you're doing, it can be overwhelming to start. I think people get over it. (Also, introvert extrovert blah blah blah.)

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:19 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:This is prob a stupid question, but as a new associate, are we supposed to taken on assignments from more senior associates...maybe associates who have been at the firm for 3-4 years. Or does that set a bad precedent of inferiority and subordination?

umm what? do you think we are only to take work from partners? at least where i work, senior associates are always assigning tasks to junior associates.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:36 pm

phonepro wrote:

umm what? do you think we are only to take work from partners? at least where i work, senior associates are always assigning tasks to junior associates.

Alright, chillax bonerpro. I was just asking.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 pm

I have done nothing all day except stress about the bar.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:39 pm

IAFG wrote:I have done nothing all day except stress about the bar.

+1. scared.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Glad I got results before my start date.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:29 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:

I think if you're in a new job and it's a big place and you spend the first few days getting introduced to new people all the time and you don't know anyone well enough to have normal conversations and you don't really know what you're doing, it can be overwhelming to start. I think people get over it. (Also, introvert extrovert blah blah blah.)

Oh totally get what you're saying. I'm obliquely complaining about being busy all the time.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 pm

stayway wrote:
IAFG wrote:I have done nothing all day except stress about the bar.

+1. scared.

Tomorrow is going to be the exact same.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
phonepro wrote:

Alright, chillax bonerpro. I was just asking.

I think that a) it depends on how things work at your firm but b) it's also probably not a great idea to start off by telling people "no because I don't think you're sufficiently senior." So.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Is it crazy to be shy about taking advantage of Seamless, cars home, etc.? Been working enough to qualify, but feel like the stuff I'm doing isn't important or complicated enough yet to justify it and I'm just being inefficient. And I don't want to call attention to it.

I guess I'm still not used to the notion that these firms really don't bat an eye about picking up $50-60 tabs (between food and cab fare) on a regular basis for people just staying late. It will probably fade with time.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Is it crazy to be shy about taking advantage of Seamless, cars home, etc.? Been working enough to qualify, but feel like the stuff I'm doing isn't important or complicated enough yet to justify it and I'm just being inefficient. And I don't want to call attention to it.

I guess I'm still not used to the notion that these firms really don't bat an eye about picking up $50-60 tabs (between food and cab fare) on a regular basis for people just staying late. It will probably fade with time.

Seamless, cars, etc. are psychological warfare the firm is waging with you. It's designed to make you say "fuck it" and work an extra hour or two or four.

Pro-tip: If your dinner + car cost the firm $100, that means you have to bill roughly 15-20 extra minutes to cover it and any time after is revenue. Stop thinking like a normal human being and start thinking like a corporate law firm gunning for 7-figure revenue per lawyer.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Is it crazy to be shy about taking advantage of Seamless, cars home, etc.? Been working enough to qualify, but feel like the stuff I'm doing isn't important or complicated enough yet to justify it and I'm just being inefficient. And I don't want to call attention to it.

Seamless, cars, etc. are psychological warfare the firm is waging with you. It's designed to make you say "fuck it" and work an extra hour or two or four.

Pro-tip: If your dinner + car cost the firm $100, that means you have to bill roughly 15-20 extra minutes to cover it and any time after is revenue. Stop thinking like a normal human being and start thinking like a corporate law firm gunning for 7-figure revenue per lawyer.

Thanks, I feel both better and worse, a sensation that seems common to the process of learning more about working in a law firm.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Pro-tip: Feelings can't swim in whiskey.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Hit my goal of billing ~200 hours for my first full month, feels good... an emptyish good, but good.

Return to “Legal Employment”