New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fxb

Re: New associate banter

Postby fxb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:53 am

thesealocust wrote:You never want to be a superstar because of hours. It'll make your life hell and it'll peg you as a grinder, which is a very disposable role in the large firm world where churning ambitious associates is the name of the game. Nothing wrong with hard work, but it's got very little to do with the decision to make somebody partner, which is all about ability to develop and maintain business.

But as a 1st-2nd year, what can I offer other than hours + good attitude? It's not like I have a lot of knowledge or a book of business at that point, right?
Last edited by fxb on Thu May 08, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 am

IAFG wrote:HAPPY MONDAY ERRYONE

Yee haw. Client was up and emailing early.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF BLACKLINES IN THE MORNING.

desertlaw wrote:
thesealocust wrote:You never want to be a superstar because of hours. It'll make your life hell and it'll peg you as a grinder, which is a very disposable role in the large firm world where churning ambitious associates is the name of the game. Nothing wrong with hard work, but it's got very little to do with the decision to make somebody partner, which is all about ability to develop and maintain business.

But as a 1st-2nd year, what can I offer other than hours + good attitude? It's not like I have a lot of knowledge or a book of business at that point, right?

Also true, but there's a difference between wanting to do well for professional reputation / development / job security reasons and actively trying to be a "superstar" as a result of hours.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 am

stayway wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:ITT we discuss the soul-sucking nature of biglaw. The more I think about it, maybe it's just MFH. Seems to me that so many smaller cities are more hospitable workplaces. I have buddies at big firm offices around the country and they regularly scoff at my MFH hours.

Maybe it's just me but I'm envious of everyone in big law at MFH. I understand the hours are crazy and you are at the bottom of the shit pile but it just seems better than what I have. Perhaps its the potential upward mobility I'm envious of. I try to persuade myself that the biglaw business model is going down sooner or later.

Grass is always greener.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:14 pm

Was busy last week, now I've got nothing to do and am hunting for work.

Anyone else having this issue?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Dear assigning partners/associates/counsel:

If it's not an emergency, and you plan to ignore me for days after giving me an assignment, don't tell me it's an emergency.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:04 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Was busy last week, now I've got nothing to do and am hunting for work.

Anyone else having this issue?

Welcome to big law. There will be 80 hour weeks and 20 hour weeks, and unfortunately, it is often unpredictable when they occur.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Hate to double-post, but am slightly freaking out about a lack of work.

I've been busy the past two weeks, but have literally nothing to do today. I've reached out to the right people, who said they'll keep me in the loop, but is it bad to have a day roughly a month in where you do absolutely nothing?

LegalReality

Postby LegalReality » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 pm

Second year associate here who also freaked out here to address fears about lack of work. I literally had almost no work my first month.

Having no work is actually probably more of a good thing and sign your firm is busy than a bad thing. When a firm staffs a first year on something, it usually takes the firm longer to edit really shitty documents, teach basic concepts, and handhold in general than is gained though the benefit of having someone do the work. Having a first year on a project adds to the time it takes other attorneys rather than subtracts. If you have no work, it is probably because people are already slammed and don't want to spend even more time at the office mentoring somebody who is basically worthless.

Trust me, once they have time you will be taught, and once you actually know how to do stuff you will be mercilessly buried like everyone else. Give it time.

Also a part of this will never end. Biglaw is by nature periods of 10 hours weeks followed by a series of 60 hour weeks as said above. Further even days are inconsistent, can't tell you how many times you have nothing to do til 4 and then stay til midnight, but hey, this is biglaw.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:20 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Hate to double-post, but am slightly freaking out about a lack of work.

I've been busy the past two weeks, but have literally nothing to do today. I've reached out to the right people, who said they'll keep me in the loop, but is it bad to have a day roughly a month in where you do absolutely nothing?

Can you do CLE or something just to plug some hours in, even if non-billable? Or find someone writing some article or something that you can proofread?

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:23 pm

LegalReality wrote:Second year associate here who also freaked out here to address fears about lack of work. I literally had almost no work my first month.

Having no work is actually probably more of a good thing and sign your firm is busy than a bad thing. When a firm staffs a first year on something, it usually takes the firm longer to edit really shitty documents, teach basic concepts, and handhold in general than is gained though the benefit of having someone do the work. Having a first year on a project adds to the time it takes other attorneys rather than subtracts. If you have no work, it is probably because people are already slammed and don't want to spend even more time at the office mentoring somebody who is basically worthless.

Trust me, once they have time you will be taught, and once you actually know how to do stuff you will be mercilessly buried like everyone else. Give it time.

Also a part of this will never end. Biglaw is by nature periods of 10 hours weeks followed by a series of 60 hour weeks as said above. Further even days are inconsistent, can't tell you how many times you have nothing to do til 4 and then stay til midnight, but hey, this is biglaw.

This was a big help, thanks a lot.

Doesn't help that waiting for bar results to release tomorrow is nerve-wracking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I feel that we should all be reminded, esp in light of my stupidity:

Do not drink and drive.

This past wkend, I was drinking at a friend's place in Los Angeles and decided to drive home. I had consumed maybe 4 drinks in a 3 hour span and I decided to stop drinking a bit before I left. My frinds constantly goaded me and called me a "bitch" or a "buzzkill" etc for not taking more shots and I actually gave it some thought for a few mins. I decided against a few shots, but just barely. However, like an idiot, I still decided to drive home shortly thereafter ( I had to get back for a dinner party). I got pulled over 2 miles from my place. I knew I smelled of alcohol and I remember my life flashing before my eyes when the officer approached. He asked why I was going so fast and where i had been. I told him the truth, that I was at a friend's place and on my way back home now. He asked how many drinks I had in the last hour. I paused and thought and said 1, which was accurate, given that I had stopped drinking maybe 30 minutes before I left. He asked me to look at his flashlight and follow it, which I did. Next, he ordered me out of the car and had me walk the line, which I did. He came up to me and said that he appreciated my honesty and that I had passed the tests. He said he was only going to let me off with a warning.

I was scared shitless throughout the process. Driving home right after, I couldn't stop thinking about the repercussions that I would face with a DUI so close to my admittance to the Bar. My job would be donezo. My parents would be so disappointed. My friends would be as well. My life would be very very different.

ANyway, sorry for the rant. I just felt that I should at least pass on my experience as a courtesy warning to others that our admitttance to the bar is such a delicate process. Be responsible, bc going thru that Saturday night was one of the worst and scariest experiences I have ever had. No point in ruining our life, given how far we have come.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I feel that we should all be reminded, esp in light of my stupidity:

Do not drink and drive.

This past wkend, I was drinking at a friend's place in Los Angeles and decided to drive home. I had consumed maybe 4 drinks in a 3 hour span and I decided to stop drinking a bit before I left. My frinds constantly goaded me and called me a "bitch" or a "buzzkill" etc for not taking more shots and I actually gave it some thought for a few mins. I decided against a few shots, but just barely. However, like an idiot, I still decided to drive home shortly thereafter ( I had to get back for a dinner party). I got pulled over 2 miles from my place. I knew I smelled of alcohol and I remember my life flashing before my eyes when the officer approached. He asked why I was going so fast and where i had been. I told him the truth, that I was at a friend's place and on my way back home now. He asked how many drinks I had in the last hour. I paused and thought and said 1, which was accurate, given that I had stopped drinking maybe 30 minutes before I left. He asked me to look at his flashlight and follow it, which I did. Next, he ordered me out of the car and had me walk the line, which I did. He came up to me and said that he appreciated my honesty and that I had passed the tests. He said he was only going to let me off with a warning.

I was scared shitless throughout the process. Driving home right after, I couldn't stop thinking about the repercussions that I would face with a DUI so close to my admittance to the Bar. My job would be donezo. My parents would be so disappointed. My friends would be as well. My life would be very very different.

ANyway, sorry for the rant. I just felt that I should at least pass on my experience as a courtesy warning to others that our admitttance to the bar is such a delicate process. Be responsible, bc going thru that Saturday night was one of the worst and scariest experiences I have ever had. No point in ruining our life, given how far we have come.

And even more important you can destroy someone else's life. As a person whose mother is disabled because some jerk decided he could handle his liquor and drive, I fully endorse your warning.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:44 pm

wildhaggis wrote:Hate to double-post, but am slightly freaking out about a lack of work.

lol that's totally normal, not bad.

Partners want you to bill a lot, but they're focused on two things: (a) total billed/collected hours (more is better), but on a time frame of months and years not days, and (b) effectively completing discreet deals/cases/matters. They don't give a shit what your daily life is like, and often the workflow won't make it possible to loop you in quickly or efficiently.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 pm

The story above is why I love Uber.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:The story above is why I love Uber.

Ya I can't imagine having to own/drive a car everywhere.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:53 pm

damn my billable quota is only 1850 - do I want to shoot higher to aim at partner?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Headybrah wrote:damn my billable quota is only 1850 - do I want to shoot higher to aim at partner?

So many variables at play that no one can answer this. Depends on the firm, the market, your book of business in 5-7 years, the other people in your associate class, etc. I mean, I'd probably aim higher, but it really depends a lot on what is "normal" at your firm. And as has been discussed in the last page or so, making partner is not really a function of hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Are all you happy people generally? I'm having difficulty faking interest in talking to all these people who come by my office. I'm usually quite social, but I don't feel I have anything in common with the people at my firm and this "fake it till you make it" is starting to tax me mentally. How do you guys interact with so many people on a daily basis? I realize this makes me sound aspie, but I don't care.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Headybrah wrote:damn my billable quota is only 1850 - do I want to shoot higher to aim at partner?

So many variables at play that no one can answer this. Depends on the firm, the market, your book of business in 5-7 years, the other people in your associate class, etc. I mean, I'd probably aim higher, but it really depends a lot on what is "normal" at your firm. And as has been discussed in the last page or so, making partner is not really a function of hours.

Yurp.

Also, what an awesome billable target. I hit that in about 9 months. :-(

NewSouthernAssociate

Postby NewSouthernAssociate » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Is anyone else having trouble delegating work to paralegals? I had two last week say they were too busy to help. Maybe they really were too busy, but I think they just don't see me as someone they work under yet... Advice?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 am

I don't delegate anything unless it's filing. Dem billables are all mine.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 am

NewSouthernAssociate wrote:Is anyone else having trouble delegating work to paralegals? I had two last week say they were too busy to help. Maybe they really were too busy, but I think they just don't see me as someone they work under yet... Advice?

What do you have for them that your secretary can't do? There are a list of things I was told to give to paralegals but I haven't hit on any of them yet.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 am

beach_terror wrote:I don't delegate anything unless it's filing. Dem billables are all mine.

lmao this gunner

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:11 am

You know....even though I may not be completely satisfied with my work/level of responsibility...I'm just glad I'm working with a title that's some what transferable while majority of my classmates are still searching.

Time to review this ecommerce K and draft a licensing agreement term sheet

good day to you all!

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are all you happy people generally? I'm having difficulty faking interest in talking to all these people who come by my office. I'm usually quite social, but I don't feel I have anything in common with the people at my firm and this "fake it till you make it" is starting to tax me mentally. How do you guys interact with so many people on a daily basis? I realize this makes me sound aspie, but I don't care.

Some people in my office, I naturally get along with and enjoy talking to. Others it took a while to mesh with and I almost wanted to avoid because conversation would be so difficult and forced. But even those people, I eventually found something we had in common, even if it's a small thing, and mostly focus on just that subject with them.

Also, you don't need to be best friends with all of your coworkers. Say good morning, ask how their weekend was and remember something about their family you can ask about. That's enough to be pleasant.

Return to “Legal Employment”