New associate banter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lukertin

Re: New associate banter

Postby lukertin » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Possible dumb question:

If a firm takes a litigation on a contingent fee basis (the company will presumably be getting back a ton of money from the government and we would get part of their return); what is the point of tracking billable hours?

is there a chance your client can get attorney fees comped?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Fee dispute with the client or fee dispute with the opposing party if fees get shifted.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm

And no matter how a firm actually bills the client, internally recording how much people work is important for accounting reasons and staffing / work allocation reasons.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Ladies, how much are you all budgeting per month for dry cleaning?

Lhutz

Postby Lhutz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

Any tips on staying organized with the statuses and tasks of multiple projects from multiple partners? I've basically kept a spreadsheet in excel that I update, but I'm wondering if there's a better way people have used.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:42 am

lukertin wrote:

If a firm takes a litigation on a contingent fee basis (the company will presumably be getting back a ton of money from the government and we would get part of their return); what is the point of tracking billable hours?

is there a chance your client can get attorney fees comped?

In the case of class actions (which are basically always contingent), billable hours are tracked for what is called the "lode star" (just a fancy term for the total of all the work you billed) and then brought before the judge, who has to approve any settlement and/or fee arrangement. The judge examines the hours among other factors in determining what kind of fee award to make.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:06 am

Not to mention straight up challenges that the contingent fee is unreasonable. No matter what the fee agreement says, sometimes people challenge...and win. I'd think being able to show the hours you put in would be essential in defending against such a complaint.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:27 pm

For the past few weeks (with the exception of a random weekend dinner), I have eaten every single meal at my desk.

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:For the past few weeks (with the exception of a random weekend dinner), I have eaten every single meal at my desk.

Sounds terrible. I ignore lunches so I can go home at 5:30.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Lhutz wrote:Any tips on staying organized with the statuses and tasks of multiple projects from multiple partners? I've basically kept a spreadsheet in excel that I update, but I'm wondering if there's a better way people have used.

That's what I use. Keep it color-coded as well to help me stay organized. Works for me and allows me to quickly update and amend when necessary.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 pm

stayway wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:For the past few weeks (with the exception of a random weekend dinner), I have eaten every single meal at my desk.

5:30???? Even if I skip lunch, I can at best make it out by 8

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:32 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
stayway wrote:

I'm in-house. I get in by 8:30 and leave at 5:30. On crazy days at 6:30 PM. Today's been pretty hectic though.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:10 pm

stayway wrote:
stayway wrote:

I'm in-house. I get in by 8:30 and leave at 5:30. On crazy days at 6:30 PM. Today's been pretty hectic though.

Don't take this personally, but I want to strangle you.

If I get out before 10PM, I'm REALLY happy.

Can't blame anyone but myself for my situation though.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Don't take this personally, but I want to strangle you.

Serious question: if you had the chance right now, would you cut your pay by 40% to be able to go home at 5:30?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:51 pm

For those of you at business casual firms, what did you wear on the first day of work? A suit, or business casual stuff.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you at business casual firms, what did you wear on the first day of work? A suit, or business casual stuff.

I'm planning on rocking a suit because on my first day of my SA I rocked biz cas and I was the only one. It was probably okay, but I felt weird.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
stayway wrote:I'm in-house. I get in by 8:30 and leave at 5:30. On crazy days at 6:30 PM. Today's been pretty hectic though.

Don't take this personally, but I want to strangle you.

I'm in gov't and have been teased by my coworkers for still being in my office at 4:45pm on a Friday. But you all undoubtably make more than twice what I make so.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:59 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:

Serious question: if you had the chance right now, would you cut your pay by 40% to be able to go home at 5:30?

Absofuckinglutely.

For me, the money isn't worth being someone's slave 24/7. Now, if I was looking at a really fat bonus (my firm is lockstep/Cravath-scale), then I would reconsider. But until you're really just a fucking slave to someone, you wouldn't understand my position.

Maybe I just have a low tolerance for abuse - iono.

Lhutz

Postby Lhutz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

Absofuckinglutely.

For me, the money isn't worth being someone's slave 24/7. Now, if I was looking at a really fat bonus (my firm is lockstep/Cravath-scale), then I would reconsider. But until you're really just a fucking slave to someone, you wouldn't understand my position.

What practice group are you in? Do you feel that some practice groups are more like this than others in biglaw?

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those of you at business casual firms, what did you wear on the first day of work? A suit, or business casual stuff.

I'm planning on rocking a suit because on my first day of my SA I rocked biz cas and I was the only one. It was probably okay, but I felt weird.

Every bro at my firm rocked a suit the first day. Don't be the lonely boner who shows up in just biz caz.

In fact, on a more serious note, please don't wear a white T underneath your dress shirt. You look like an idiot.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

Absofuckinglutely.

Abuse is probably the wrong word.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Every bro at my firm rocked a suit the first day. Don't be the lonely boner who shows up in just biz caz.

In fact, on a more serious note, please don't wear a white T underneath your dress shirt. You look like an idiot.

V neck is TCR so you don't sweat into your good shirt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I am a lady; did the ladies rock the suit? I guess I'm planning on wearing one now, but I was just curious.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:41 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:

Reliably at 5:30? Hell yes.

masterbrowski

Postby masterbrowski » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:45 pm

There is probably something in your firm's fee agreement that they get a specified hourly rate for your work if the contingency client decides to fire your firm prior to the end of the litigation.

Return to “Legal Employment”